PDF database

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I'm beginning to have too many .pdf files, and would need some software to catalog and index them. I've got a few dvds full of them, as well as a bunch of them on my hd.

Any recommendations?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You could just use an access database to keep information about them and then link to the files.

I created a VB application last Christmas for my dad that allows him to index and search for his audio CDs (it uses a Access backend). He wanted to be able to search for song titles that are on the CDs. If you want to look at the application I will send it to you. I'm sure it could be changed in such a way to make it work for other kinds of media other than CDs. I would include the source as well, but you have to have some knowledge of VB in order to change anything.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
EdwardK said:
Theres a shareware application called PDF Explorer (http://www.pdfexplorer.com/index.htm) which may interest you. I have not tried it and could not comment on its usefulness. But then why pay for something when you could do it for free like timwhit say? :wink:

Cheers,
Edward

I'm not sure that free is the right word here. 1200 lines of code doesn't write itself. Free as in it didn't cost anything. Expensive as in it probably took 30-40 hours to write and debug the application. More for testing and installation on the target machine. It's good experience and I have fun doing it though, which is why I did it.

Here is a quick screenshot of the application's main page:

cd_organizer.gif

I don't think it would be very hard at all to change the fields in this program to work for another kind of media. If you changed the fields to things like filename, author, subject, date, location. And then made the searches into things like author, date, etc. The searches on this application are pretty cool too. It does instantaneous searches as you type in each letter in the search box. So if you type in just a letter a in any of the search boxes it returns just those albums which start with the letter 'a'. And all the searches work together so you can use multiple search fields. I coded the searches well enough that with over 100 albums and 2000 songs the searches were still instantaneous on a Pentium II 266 computer.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I'm very sorry!
Been too damm busy at this new work trying to learn all the systems.

I'm pondering if I have the time to mod your program. It looks very good! Hmmm, I gotta make some decision...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The JoJo said:
I'm very sorry!
Been too damm busy at this new work trying to learn all the systems.

I'm pondering if I have the time to mod your program. It looks very good! Hmmm, I gotta make some decision...

Hey if you are too busy I will do it for $25/hour... :wink: Actually I am too busy at the moment as well. Working too many hours (35 this week) and taking 15 credit hours this semester doesn't leave too many extra hours every day. Especially when I still read everything on this forum and participate as much as I can.