Perc 6/iR doesn't like my SSD

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a problem with my new SSD and the Dell PowerEdge 2950 in which I intended to install it. The intergrated Perc 6/iR controller refuses to detect the SSD. I've placed the SSD inside an Icy Dock 3.5"-to-2.5" adapter, but that should not be a problem since there's no ontroller in that thing. It only redirect the wiring to the right spot. Both the Dell BIOS and the Perc 6/iR's firmware are at the latest available version on Dell's website.

I've connected the SSD inside another computer and it is detected just fine. I don't know what else to do. I've read that other people I've been able to succesfully use SSD inside PowerEdge 2950. It's frustrating.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Use a native SATA port?

That would be my suggestion also, assuming you didn't need hot swap or raid.

My guess is the data or power connector isn't seating well against the sas backplane. I'm assuming you're not using an interposer board and that you are using the screw holes for SAS drives and NOT the ones marked sata. Is it possible to test without the adapter!(I know it might involve some temp Jerry rigging). Does a 3.5" drive work in the same slot?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The 3.5" SAS drives work just fine when connected in the same slots. No, I'm not familiar with the Perc, but it doesn't seem to be that complicated. I enter the controller's menu by pressing Ctrl+C at a certain moment during the bott up process and then I have the choice to create a array and a few other options. It always see the SAS drives, but never the SSD. Yes, I also know about the different voltage of SAS and SATA interface and I tried with the SSD alone. No luck. I don't want to Jerry rig it as it has to work in a clean way to be accepted as a solution here.

I'll try to enable the native SATA ports and to connect them to the backplane.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The 3.5" SAS drives work just fine when connected in the same slots. No, I'm not familiar with the Perc, but it doesn't seem to be that complicated. I enter the controller's menu by pressing Ctrl+C at a certain moment during the bott up process and then I have the choice to create a array and a few other options. It always see the SAS drives, but never the SSD. Yes, I also know about the different voltage of SAS and SATA interface and I tried with the SSD alone. No luck. I don't want to Jerry rig it as it has to work in a clean way to be accepted as a solution here.

I'll try to enable the native SATA ports and to connect them to the backplane.

Sounds like you know everything necessary for the perc. The dell servers were offered with SSDs and there are many independent reports of people adding their own, so they should work. I've never had trouble with sata drives on any SAS perc( including the 6), I'm going to guess it is either a connector problem with your adapter or that your ssd is incompatible with the perc or a sas controller.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It was the 3.5" to 2.5" adapter. I tried with another (exact same model) and it worked. I should have tried it before, but since this is just a connector redirect board, I didn't think it could be the problem.

Thanks all for your help.