Platinum Edition Motherboard from Soyo

COOL OR NOT COOL?

• It's just you Clocker, that thing is UgLY!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • That thing DOES look pretty CoOl!

• The functionality is better making it cool!

• Total voters

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Is it just me or do you think this is a really cool motherboard?

It seems like when I'm digging around inside my case later in the evenings, it is always dark inside there and it is hard to see what is going on. I'd think a mobo like the one below would help with that. Also, I wonder if the silk-screen jumper settings etc. on the mobo are easier to read?

At least this is a mobo to have if you have a window in your case....

http://www.soyousa.com/images/products/800x600/kt333_dragon_ultra(silver).jpg

C

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
In the begining there was the word.

And all about was void and formless.

And the word was known to all mankind.

Many and various men and women of the world spoke the word in many different tongues.

And the word they spoke was "tacky".

Clocker, I've seen video cards that same colour, back when such things were fashionable in '88 or 89. It was tacky then too. And, as tacky things always do, by the time they were a little less than brand spanking new, they became ultra-tacky.

On the scale of tasteful, that board sits somewhere between sitting in a open-top sports car outside an under-age disco wearing a heavy gold necklace with your shirt half unbuttoned and your artificially bottle-tanned pot belly hanging out over your too-tight trousers breathing garlic fumes on the passers-by, and squeezing your zits in public.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Wait, I'm confused. Is popping zits better or worse than being the creepy guy outside of underage discos?

Clocker, that thing looks silly. On the one hand, yup, it's white and purple, and those aren't normal PCB colors. On the other, buying a 'board based on looks is a little nutty. Who is going to see it? Who is going to care? It's a little like - and no offense here - a married guy wearing a toupee. You don't have anyone to impress, so why bother?

Oh, yeah, and anything that shade of purple is just hideous.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
On the whole, I guess popping zits is to be prefered. Though, on the other hand, I guess if you are popping zits in public already, then it's odds-on that you are only 20 years, a toupee, and a bottle of fake tanning lotion away from the outside of that under-age disco. Pretty tough one to call, I guess.

One thing I think Tannin forgot to mention: the resolution of that tacky silver video card: full-length, 8-bit ISA, and glorious four-colour CGA.

Clocker: welcome to my nightmare.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Sorry Clocker, the board has the same features as other mainboards and the white PCB reminds me of a dirty computer. At one time I had leased out some computers to a construction site. Most of the work done in the vicinity of the computers was concrete and plaster work. When I got those systems back, the insides had this thick layer of white powder, and the PCB looked just like that Soyo board. (Remarkably, all of the systems worked just fine, they were just dirty. After a good cleaning, everything was back to looking new.)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah...it may be Ugly but I like how things are more visible in a dimly lit PC enclosure... :p

C

Handruin

Administrator
Now if it was a bright orange with blue PCI/agp, that would look tight!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Total amateurs. They've obviously ripped off the idea from these guys:

85dr2+-l.jpg

Mind you, you can't go past the ultimate fashion statement:

75drv5.jpg

Now that's art!

Sol

Storage is cool
CheChe board, I believe the word is W00t!

Clocker, if you don't like the dimness inside of your PC add a case light like everyone else.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Nice boards but they really need some hydraulics and a lime green sofa to be 'da bomb.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I think it looks neat but as Tannin said, it won't remain like that for ever...
And I certainly wouldn't buy it for the looks.

If you need extra light in your case get a molex and stick a couple of wide angle white LEDs on it with a resistor - simple and bright 8)

Or, you could get one of these $15 LEDs: http://www.bit-tech.net/review/82/

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Nah. Doctor's headlamp. The *right* way to work. :)

Speaking of things that won't look neat forever, does anyone else remember cases with CPU speed indicators. Aren't those just quaint now?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I wonder why no manufacturer tried this sort of thing earlier. What would have happened if they had?

What would everyone's reaction have been if, say, the i386 motherboards you saw in the late 1980's/early 1990's had come out with colors like these?

Would it have been thought of as cool back then? Revolutionary?

Tolerated?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
How about a motherboard with a Country Western theme? You know... with some cowboy boot graphics and a mule or two...
Or maybe a white trash model? Built out of used parts and held together with bailing wire? A nice graphic of a double-wide on the back... why not?