Please test my web server

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey guys-
I just installed/figured out Apache and threw up a VERY old website I made to test it.

I can access it fine via my local LAN but I was wondering if you guys would test it using my dyndns address ( I can't do it from behind my router).

http://kevharper.dyndns.org

Thanks,
C

SteveC

Storage is cool
The link goes to a directory listing, instead on the index file, and I can browse into all of the directories, including the ones which are supposed to be blocked.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmmm is it that way now? I changed index.htm to index.html

WHen I just type in the IP of the webserver, the index file loads automatically....

Appreciate your feedback and if you know what is wrong please shout it out...I'm just learning about Apache...

THanks,

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thank you honold. I did as you instructed and restarted the server.

What did I just do? :?: Why isn't that the default setting..any idea?

Does it work correctly now?

Thanks again...maybe this should be moved to the Tech Support forum...Admin?

honold

Storage is cool
disables the directory listings everyone's been seeing - those are an auto-generated option by apache

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Nice job, Kevin.
But your page looks a bit 80s.

PM me if you want any site/page composer advices...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker said:
Hey guys-
I just installed/figured out Apache and threw up a VERY old website I made to test it.

I can access it fine via my local LAN but I was wondering if you guys would test it using my dyndns address ( I can't do it from behind my router).

http://kevharper.dyndns.org

Thanks,
C

In order to view this website by DNS address: enter into your DNS server or local hosts file
kevharper.dyndns.org 192.168.1.whatever-the-server-IP-address-is

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I don't understand why he can't view it from the inside... His site should be resolved to his external IP and his browser should send a request to that IP on port 80, the router should forward that to the server and the server should send it back the way it came...

I can do it fine on my D-Link.. so can a friend (i guess he has a D-link as well)

Clocker, if you want an easy way to test a server, check out these visualroute servers.
Be sure to enter the http:// ftp:// prefix and it will tell you some information about your server.

honold

Storage is cool
blakerwry said:
I don't understand why he can't view it from the inside... His site should be resolved to his external IP and his browser should send a request to that IP on port 80, the router should forward that to the server and the server should send it back the way it came...

it has to do with how clever his nat device is. if he's trying to go to his external address by name it does the following:

dns lookup on the name (resolves to his external ip)

his system (using a lan address) sends the request to his nat device's lan address (since it's set as the default gateway)

the nat device forges the packet so that it appears to come from its (his) external ip using its default gateway (the isp)

now the packet is effectively coming from his external ip and directed to his external ip. to further complicate things, it's going to tcp port 80, which is set to redirect inbound to his system - the one that made the request to begin with

some devices can figure this out, some can't

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
btw, how was setting up Apache 2.0.46 on win32?

Blake-
It was really easy. Just run the installer and choose to start it as a service or manually. It prompts you for a few bits of information during the install. It was easier than I thought it would be.

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
honold said:
blakerwry said:

it has to do with how clever his nat device is. if he's trying to go to his external address by name it does the following:

dns lookup on the name (resolves to his external ip)

his system (using a lan address) sends the request to his nat device's lan address (since it's set as the default gateway)

the nat device forges the packet so that it appears to come from its (his) external ip using its default gateway (the isp)

now the packet is effectively coming from his external ip and directed to his external ip. to further complicate things, it's going to tcp port 80, which is set to redirect inbound to his system - the one that made the request to begin with

some devices can figure this out, some can't

Yeah, my router is definitely a cheapie. If I had my VPN connection going to work )though the router) I could access the web server via my external address via my work's proxy but I took the VPN software off my machine...

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:

I can do it fine on my D-Link.. so can a friend (i guess he has a D-link as well)

Clocker, if you want an easy way to test a server, check out these visualroute servers.
Be sure to enter the http:// ftp:// prefix and it will tell you some information about your server.

Thanks! Will do.

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
[quote="Howell
In order to view this website by DNS address: enter into your DNS server or local hosts file
kevharper.dyndns.org 192.168.1.whatever-the-server-IP-address-is[/quote]

Is that on the web server or on my local machine?

Thanks,
C

honold

Storage is cool
do it on the machine opening the web broswer

local host file is in %WINDOWS%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Handruin

Administrator
You may also want to investigate Foxserv. Foxserv is a complete installation of apache with perl, PHP, mysql, python, and more using a single installable package.

honold

Storage is cool
you may also not want to install foxserv because it is a complete installation of apache with perl, PHP, mysql, python, and more using a single installable package.

quoth their home page: "As we are working on Apache 3.1x, We will add the folowing features into the package." apache 3.1x? oookay :)

seriously though, i would recommend you don't install anything you don't understand or intend to use - apache on win32 has a bad enough security record as-is.