Port forwarding/redirection

zx

Learning Storage Performance
Hi everyone.

I'm running a software router (windows 2000 routing and remote access) and i'm trying to reach an HTTP server behind the router from the internet.

It's supposed to be simple. I searched technet and found an article on how to do it with windows 2000 routing and remote access. Like most routers, you input port 80 and the host name or ip and it's supposed to work.

Well, for some reason, it does not work. My browser indicates that the operation timed out when i try to reach the web site from the external ip address. When I reach it from the internal ip address (192.168.0.x), it works fine, so the problem is not with http server.

Then i did a little test. I set up on the router machine an http server. When I do not enable port forwarding on port 80, the server works as usual. When I enable port forwarding to forward port 80 on another machine, i get an operation timed out error. That means that port forwarding actually works, but for some reason, I get this operation timed out error.

Can someone help me with that problem?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Does your host have a static or dynamic IP? Is the hostname registered with DNS? Are you using DDNS? Is HTTPd configured to use the internet interface, or are your internal IPs all non-routable? Is the server you're trying to reach on port 80?

Inquiring minds want to know.

zx

Mercutio said:
Does your host have a static or dynamic IP? Is the hostname registered with DNS? Are you using DDNS? Is HTTPd configured to use the internet interface, or are your internal IPs all non-routable? Is the server you're trying to reach on port 80?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Dynamic IP.

I don't have a registered domain name but I have a dynamic dns name. For testing, I use the internet Ip address and not the dynamic dns name.

My web server is IIS and it's configured to use port 80 on it's LAN interface who has a static IP. On the router, I specified that this IP recieves all trafic from port 80.

Does IIS need extra configuration to be accessed from the net?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Nope. Default for "Default Web Site" to listen on 80 for all interfaces, as long as the server and the site are both running (I think they are, or you wouldn't be able to connect internally).

You don't have any Remote Access Policies in place that might keep routing from happening, do you?

Why not set up a static page using IIS on your Router, to see if the reason you're having this issue is RRAS not forwarding the port?

zx

Port redirection seems to be working to a certain degree. I set up an IIS web and ftp server on my router. When i use port redirection on ports 20, 21 and 80, it gives me an error (operation timed out). When I don't use port redirection, it gives me the web site and ftp of the router. So I guess the port redirection is showing some signs of life, without working fully.

zx

I don't think that I have set remote access policies to keep routing from happening. I checked in group policy for the router and the default domain policy. There was a policy for remote access in the "routing and remote access" snap-in that was set to "refuse remote access". I set it to accept, but it didn't change anything.

zx

Well I found my problem. It seems my isp blocks all the port that I was testing with (80 and 21). I tried on port 8080 and it worked...

zx

Mercutio said:
OK. I'm glad neither of us are crazy. :)
We may be :p.

Since my ISP blocks port 80, I’ve set up the router to translate all that comes to port 8080 to port 80 on the same machine (the router itself) that runs IIS on port 80. That works perfectly.

However, when I try the same thing on another machine running IIS, it does not work. Like in this case:

Machine 1 (router): 192.168.0.1 (static internal IP)
- The router is set to translate incoming requests on port 8080 to 192.168.0.3:80.

Machine 2 (Web server): 192.168.0.3 (static internal IP)
- running IIS on port 80

AAARRGGGG!!!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Quick question zx, why are you having the router redirect from port 8080 to port 80? Why don't you just leave the router as you normally would and assign each website in IIS to a different port, such as 8080, 8081, etc. and let IIS handle the redirection?

zx

Buck said:
Quick question zx, why are you having the router redirect from port 8080 to port 80? Why don't you just leave the router as you normally would and assign each website in IIS to a different port, such as 8080, 8081, etc. and let IIS handle the redirection?

I could do that for web sites, but I need port redirection for other applications that I can't install on my poor Pentium II router.

The test with an HTTP server is the easiest way to know if port redirection works...

zx

I think i'll go crazy. I tried with winroute. The router software works fine, but the port redirection does not work at all. More lost hours....