Power consumption for the home: or how those LED's do really work...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm looking at the PG&E bill.
Keep in mind last year this time I had standard light bulbs, used the dish washer all the time, and used the central heating. It was warmer, IIRC, last year.
I was also running the Beast 24/7 using 100% processor power, and folding at home.

So last year:
Billed for 30 days: 1203 KWhours average 40.1 per day
This year 33 days billed: 562 KWHours, and 17.0 per day.

This year I've used the central heating, changed pretty much all the lights that I leave on to the LED's PowerLED from Lights of America, 200 lumens, 4 watts.
If I need more light I've gone to all new generation mini-flors, and this combination appears to actually deliver what the first generation promised, but didn't.

So, what is that? 56% reduction in electricity useage?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Replacing a 750 lumen / 60W incandescent bulb with a 200 lumen / 4W LED reduces light output by nearly 4 times, but saves 56W of power.

1203 - 562 = 641 kWh energy saved.
641 / (6 hrs per day x 30 days) = 3.56kW power saved.
3.56 kW / 56 W = 64 bulbs.

Greg has a very big house or a penchant for chandeliers.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Replacing a 750 lumen / 60W incandescent bulb with a 200 lumen / 4W LED reduces light output by nearly 4 times, but saves 56W of power.

1203 - 562 = 641 kWh energy saved.
641 / (6 hrs per day x 30 days) = 3.56kW power saved.
3.56 kW / 56 W = 64 bulbs.

Greg has a very big house or a penchant for chandeliers.

Yeah. Dim bulb Santilli is not saving all that power from lighting. Before the Androidic mangling of my post above, I was asking if the home was all electric. If there is less dishwashing, is there also less cooking? Are there different people living in the house and do they have different occupancy or usage patterns?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The home is electric. Less dishwashing, more hand washing of dishes, using hot water that is on a constant, fixed billing, less use of electric heat, more spot electric head. Different roommate. Oddly this guy is home all the time, unemployed right now, but not as wasteful.
He does cook a LOT.

It is a large apartment. Thin walls, made in the 50's.

I've turned the heat down in my room, and use an electric blanket to keep my feet warm.

Maybe adding 10 pounds helps, since I have more insulation;-(

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
AS for the LED's and mini-flors: the leds emit less light, but project it a bit better, in a clear, more focused direction. This works great for most ceiling mounted fixtures, since I want the light pointing down, not lighting the ceiling. With the old popcorn ceiling
it eats light, due to it's surface area and angles, so it takes a lot of light to do any good. The LED's just work better.

I've also painted most of the house walls with high quality, bright white paint. While on certain bright days it feels like you are in a hospital, overall the downstairs apartment is more cave like, and isn't well lit. The reflective walls make existing lighting much more effective.

I really need to do my bathroom this way, since it has no external light source, read windows.