Printing Exif Info for a bunch of pics

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd like print out the Exif info for a bunch of pics; I'll pipe the output to PDFs. Output can be in one file with the picture file name preceding the Exif dump for that pic (so I can identify which pic the info belongs to), or it can be multiple files, one file of Exif info per pic.

I took a bunch of pics in a challenging situation today, and the results are all over the place. I want to analyze the exif info for each, compare with the image quality and see what caused the difference. Settings didn't vary. I think the harsh spotlights on stage caused the problems; localized hi-intensity hi-yellow spots.

Thanks.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are you using spot metering with manual exposure and checking all three channels of the histogram? Overexposure aften clips one or two channels before the other(s) and results in highlight color shifts.

There also some color shifts caused by short exposures if arc discharge type of lights are used. Depending on the exact phase of the AC cycle the colors and intensity can be quite different.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think you hit the nail on the head, LM.

D700 in spot focus, matrix metering mode.

Thom Hogan's book on the D700 says:
"Watch the AF sensor! Especially in Single Point AF mode the D700 is prone to compensate somewhat for what's under the autofocus sensor you pick. If that's darker than middle gray, your exposure may be "brightened", while if it's brighter than middle gray, your exposure may be "lowered". Most of the inconsistent metering complaints I've heard can all be traced back to this."
Most of the stage was dark. Even though I think I focused on a face, half pressed the shutter and recomposed the shot, many faces in each shot were overexposed (burned look). It's probably due to the oveclipping as you pointed out.

I've got to watch out for this. Problem is such a lack of time to learn my camera well. I take so few shots per year. I've also got to learn how to read histograms.

I always shoot in Jpeg fine and also have the camera set to concurrently save raw files. Someday I hope I'll have the time to learn how to edit raw files.

Thanks LM.