Problem Firewire enclosure

jido

What is this storage?
I have a drive enclosure with an Oxford chipset (0x609E). I put in a caddy to hold my hard disk. The caddy can be pulled out by turning a key, which powers off the drive inside.

My problem is: once I turn the key, the system cannot access the disk again. I have to power off the drive enclosure first (which is very inconvenient due to the location of the power switch), then back on before the system sees the disk.

Is that a bug with my OS (MacOS X 10.4.10) or is it something with the enclosure?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The there is no specification for an IDE device to be hot-pluggable. If you switch out the drive you will need to reboot the bridge board (Oxford) to re-initialize the drive. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

jido

What is this storage?
Thanks Howell. I just need to find a better way to power off the enclosure then. Very helpful, great info!

BTW how does the caddy work when it is directly inside the computer? The user needs a reboot to change the drive?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
On a Linux box with SCSI boot drives, I used to be able to unload the IDE driver and pop an IDE drive out of one of those enclosures.
The drive I was putting back in was the same make/model, though.

I'm saying it might be possible that you could get it to work, but generally speaking Howell is correct.