Problem with RAID disk

joop84

What is this storage?
Hi all,

Recently my Synology diskstation (with 2 drives) came up with an error for the second drive. The message stated that the volume had crashed.
To see what the problem could be I added the disks to my computer and tried to mount the RAID volume.
However, this always fails with the message "mdadm: no uptodate device for slot 1 of /dev/md/DiskStation"
So I ran mdadm -E for the disk that should be slot 1. Surprisingly it stated "Device Role : Active device 32769".
How can it be possible that this has changed? And is there a possibility to change it back so that it is recognised as device 1?

Thanks in advance.

ddrueding

Fixture
I run a lot of Synology units, but I don't know the first thing about Linux file system tools. When the drive fails I just replace it and let the system re-replicate to the new drive. You were running in RAID1, yes?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
He might be doing weirdo proprietary Synology Hybrid RAID, which should functionally be RAID1 but which might do things just differently enough that non-Synology Linux doesn't know what to do with it.