Problem with SVCD

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I wanted to try downloading a movie via one of those P2P programs and burning it to CD. It was SVCD format. I downloaded a Nero BIN file with associated CUE file. I burned the SVCD with Nero.

I burned the video to CDR and played it in my Poineer DVD player. The sound is great. But, my problem is that the horizontal synch of the video is totally off. Anything I might do to fix that?

I just wanted to try this to see how good it works....

Thanks,
C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Try opening the .DAT file on the VCD in Vdub Mod. It may just be a matter of a few bad bytes at the beginning of the file.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Is it out of sync if you play it on your PC? Do you know if it is PAL or NTSC format?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i have a similar symptom.. but maybe a different problem...

I have a new RCA TV(one of the X-Box redy things with Component, S-Vid, V-port, etc).. I'm trying to output from my computer to the TV.

The computer(s) are in a seperate(but adjacent) room and thus I'm using a 25ft S-vid cable to hook the computer to the TV.

I 1st tried with a Saphire Radeon 9000... at first it worked... the image was pretty had to read at 1024x768 though. Then, the next time I tried I got a "stripe" or horizontal bar where the image was slightly distorted. The stripe moved from the bottom of the screen to the top slowly. When it reached the top the screen would flicker like the vertical hold was off. The flickering occurs for about 3 seconds and then stops and the stripe starts at the bottom and moves to the top and it happens all over again... I tried several times and it seemed to randomly have this problem... (I've had it work for atleast half an hour before)

i tried turning the cable around and double checking connections... tried lowering the res to 800x600 but things got worse... I think the refresh is locked at 60Hz cause of my flat panel monitor... I checked the ATi help and saw that the card may not support TV out and flat panel monitors so I switched the monitor from DVI to analog VGA w/ no success...

I thought the cable might be the problem so I hooked the cable up between the TV and the DVD player and it worked fine...

So.. i thought it was the computer... so I tried using a Geforce3... and I had a similar problem with the vertical hold being off...

Moving my geforce3 closer and using a 3ft cable solves the problem.. I am unable to move the computer with the radeon closer without alot of work so i'd rather avoid doing it...

Can someone tell me if this is a problem of the signal being too weak or too much interfearence.. or just a symptom of a low quality cable? or is this some type of incompatibility with my flat panel monitor and its refresh rate?

thanks for any insight you guys might have.
-Blake

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think you've got an attentuation issue Blake. Try using a higher gauge cable or move some equipment so you can do a "troubleshooting" set up just to check. You might also try to make sure there are as few kinks and bends as possible in the cable.

TV out is lousy as long as there's a TV involved. It's OK for games but in my experience text in any normal font size is simply unreadable on a TV.

I bought a 100 foot Svideo cable from callcct.com and was using it for awhile without any problem. It was a good, thick cable and it worked fine (I eventually put in wireless video distribution to replace it).

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
SteveC said:
Is it out of sync if you play it on your PC? Do you know if it is PAL or NTSC format?

It plays fine on my PC now that I've installed an MPEG2 decoder. Now sure what format it is. How do I check?

C

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Clocker said:
SteveC said:

It plays fine on my PC now that I've installed an MPEG2 decoder. Now sure what format it is. How do I check?

C
NTSC = 480x480 and PAL = 480x576

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Oh and the fps for NTSC is 29.97fps and for PAL 25fps. This is for SVCD of course.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Blake, As a test try the long cable with the PC in close. This will help narrow down strictly cable issues and environmental.