Pure Computer Experience according to Mercutio. :-p

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
A4abacus.jpg

Wow! This baby rocks! :lol: :p

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Wow PeeWee. Too bad I can't enjoy your scintillating wit.

There is an image there I'm not seeing, right?

Here's a thought for you: I've been doing this stuff for long enough to know good ideas from bad ones. I'm perfectly willing to use older technology if it's superior to new. I'm not willing to compromise security or usability just to use some stupid trinket.

If you believe for some reason that there's no justification for my preferences, perhaps you'd be better off taking a moment to ask about them, rather than staring at whatever shiny object has captured your limited attention span.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Don't shoot the pianist! :mrgrn:

I didn't want to be sarcastic either, just kidding... afterall... hik... it's the SF pub here... hik... isn't it? Let me have a break with... hik... a couple of whiskies. Then blame the Bartender. :p

Jokes apart, no hidden image here. It's just the abacus, the first human endeavour of serious computing. I wasn't challenging your knowledge of what's-better-in-the-IT-industry-from-what's-not, OK? Afterall, you and HellDiver were the ones that persuaded me to try Delphi instead of Visual Basic, remember?!

However, I do believe that you hamper seriously some of your multimedia (turning your back to Flash 6, for example) capabilities. I'm not in position to suggest YOU things, but why don't you turn one of your many systems to a rogue-WinXP multimedia babe? Just for the heck of it man!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Prof.Wizard said:
Afterall, you and HellDiver were the ones that persuaded me to try Delphi instead of Visual Basic, remember?!
You did that Merc? Congrats. Now could you do the same with him but with Linux (or at least Win2K) and convince him that WinXP is evil? Too hard huh? That's what I thought too.
Prof.Wizard said:
I'm not in position to suggest YOU things, but why don't you turn one of your many systems to a rogue-WinXP multimedia babe? Just for the heck of it man!
Even I, a man with limited Linux knowledge and working mostly on Winblows, wouldn't agree to install WinXP on one of my test boxes. It's a matter of principles. If all the articles about how WinXP invades your privacy, treaten your security and turns your user's right to a bad joke cannot convince you that you shouldn't use it, no one else will. You will probably be the first one to download WinXP SP1 when Microsoft will release it too, won't you?

Every dollar penny you give to Bill is a way to agree on giving up your rights and a step more towards being a slave of MS empire.

Mercutio

Go back and read why I ditched XP after a week. I think it's on the 2nd page of the computers forum by now.

Lessee... Oh, yeah! I couldn't access better than 3/4 of a TERABYTE of disk space from my XP box, 'cause it was on samba shares.

And on down the list, the wonderful, happy blue screens followed by periods of rebooting I got every time I tried to make my DVD software play back a movie using the digital out on my sound card. Whoops. Admittedly, it doesn't work in 2000, either, but at least I don't have to watch my machine reboot to find out (I get a polite error that says "no digital output in Windows 2000").

You realize I'm the guy who doesn't do G@H or whatever the new thing is because my machines are usually pegged with some kind of video capture or encoding job, right? Isn't that "multimedia" enough?

So what does XP add? I mean besides the fruity little thumbnails when I browse directories of pictures or videos (which I turn off anyway, since I use "detail view" everywhere).

Now that I've debunked that...

Flash is a bad idea. It actively needs to be stopped. Flash is first and foremost non-textual content. It can't be indexed in a search engine. It can't be read by blind people. It requires special, proprietary software to even look at it. And that's not even getting to the general characterization of flash most often made, the "waste of my friggin' bandwidth" factor.

Company-sponsored server-based messaging is bad for a lot of reasons. For one thing, you're locked into using their software and their network. And their terms of service, which means who-knows-what. Look at our ads. Let us monitor traffic. Require updates to break compatibility. Most of all, anything related to the internet that is proprietary smacks of evil. The structure of the internet is based on RFCs - standard, documented technologies and techniques that allow intercommunication regardless of the underlying software. That doesn't sound much like the IM networks, does it?

Not that the same thing applies to almost every streaming audio system I'm aware of as well (Yes, MP3 is a proprietary, if well-documented format).

Open-standards computing is one of the reasons that PCs became a widespread technology, you know. I'm sure Gary or Tannin could fill you in with more detail than I, but words like "proprietary" and "IBM" still cause shudders in a great many people working in IT.

IE, OE and Outlook share a common flaw: Microsoft didn't make them properly. Securely, that is. IE has another sin, namely its inability to provide accurate feedback. Its bookmark system is kind of retarded, too (lots of wasted space in individual file-per-bookmark, isn't there?). Outlook and OE are both dreadfully insecure and cryptic. At least the Exchange inbox is something that is somewhat standardized (I know of at least a couple of commercial packages that clone it), but local file formats still suck. What was wrong with the .mbox format everything else uses, again?
Of course the fact that a great deal of effort is made to make the source of data (.PST, .SCD, Exchange server data, .PAB) utterly transparent the user and mystifyingly complex to support-types is another failure, IMO.

I can go on, of course, but you get the idea. A lot of the software you're advocating has real down side that you either haven't considered or aren't aware of.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
I can go on, of course, but you get the idea. A lot of the software you're advocating has real down side that you either haven't considered or aren't aware of.
Maybe. But Mandrake 8.1 gave me more configuration headaches than anything else. I know, it was because I didn't know how to configure it... but what the hell, I don't how to drive a tank either...

Everything is for a certain job. I'm a home user, above all. I like to have brain-dead installations, easy configurations, out-of-the-box multimedia capabilities, and (even if proprietary!) server-based communications.

You know that this discussion has been done zillion of times, but till the day X that you'll have persuaded all software houses to port their progies (including games - just for the record) to Linux as well, I'll be wearing Windows on my systems...

Everything else is too much of a hassle for a busy calendar.

Mercutio

Methinks if you bought better hardware, it wouldn't be an issue. Nor am I the person trying to tell you to use Linux, only less crappy versions of Windows (NT3.5.1 was good, so is 2000. The rest suck eggs).

At any rate, I haven't had a Linux box NOT auto-detect and install all the hardware in the machine I'm working with in a long time. Even complicated stuff like multiple-NIC, multiple SCSI card, SMP configs (OK, I have to specify a multi-processor kernel. Which is as simple as two extra mouse clicks. Ouch).

Saying you're a "home user" is an excuse. There are fine minds here to pick when you have a problem, and need I remind you, home users don't split hairs about performance difference between Barracuda IVs and drives that don't suck. Either consider yourself on the morning train to Clue-ville, or get on AOL and smile beatifically as the pretty colors and broken software suck away your soul, like all the rest of the lusers.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Methinks if you bought better hardware, it wouldn't be an issue. Nor am I the person trying to tell you to use Linux, only less crappy versions of Windows (NT3.5.1 was good, so is 2000. The rest suck eggs).
Better hardware? BETTER HARDWARE?! :x
I doubt if anything in this box of mine isn't branded: ASUS, Creative, RealTek, Microsoft, EPSON... what else do you want me to do? Stick a "Prada" logo on the case?

At any rate, I haven't had a Linux box NOT auto-detect and install all the hardware in the machine I'm working with in a long time. Even complicated stuff like multiple-NIC, multiple SCSI card, SMP configs (OK, I have to specify a multi-processor kernel. Which is as simple as two extra mouse clicks. Ouch).
Now... wait a minute... maybe it's YOU that you're using ancient hardware. Remember back in October? The Audigy wasn't supported by Linux kernels out-of-the-box. Yeah, blame Creative but the final result was the same. I had a mute box. Linux installs OK if you have 1-year-old equipment and of certain brands.

Saying you're a "home user" is an excuse. There are fine minds here to pick when you have a problem, and need I remind you, home users don't split hairs about performance difference between Barracuda IVs and drives that don't suck. Either consider yourself on the morning train to Clue-ville, or get on AOL and smile beatifically as the pretty colors and broken software suck away your soul, like all the rest of the lusers.
Being a Home User is NOT an excUSE... it's a USE. I stressed that cause I don't need to maintain an elaborous database, a web server, or run enterprise software. I just wanna be able to talk online with my buddies (energy and handruin included) and be able to see the latest multimedia content in my browser. That's a home user.

Don't insult my intelligence by talking to me about AOL and pretty colors. I don't choose the GUI from the console because the first goes with my carpet, but because I can work faster and with higher productivity when I have a visual reference.

Last but not least, Barracuda IV. For me it was good choise. Decent fast and Q-U-I-E-T... that's why I bought it in the first place.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I just wanna be able to talk online with my buddies
Isn't there any kind of mIRC on Linux? Anyway.

There's a need IMO for an open-source, unbloated and secure piece of software to replace all the current IM programs. Chatzilla maybe (I never tried it)?

Mercutio

The standard console client is called ircii. The X-ish one I've used in the past is called bitchX (no, I have no idea where that name comes from).

PeeWee: Better hardware in this case means a less-generic NIC (I use Tulip and Intel-based NICs in my boxes), a video card with actual OSS drivers (Matrox, 3dfx, S3, even ATI - although it takes them forever to get around to releasing them. Nvidia makes a precompiled module available for their stuff. A Microsoft NDA apparently keeps them from actually releasing code. Yet another reason to be suspicious.) Sound is best with an older Creative card (pre-Live, basically, unless you're willing to pay $15 for a better driver. Creative's lack of driver talent has carried over to Linux as well) or one of the nicer generics (ESS1869).
All the microsoft hardware I'm aware of is pretty crappy.

You're basically blaming "linux" for what a couple of companies did or didn't do. Lots of people think nvidia/ATI/Creative make crappy drivers, but it doesn't keep them from using Windows, does it?

Multimedia content? Like movies and sounds and pictures? All that stuff works fine. I can even encode and watch .AVI files on my Linux machines. But if you're missing Flash, or whatever other godforsaken proprietary plugin you think you need, trust me, you aren't missing anything.

Mercutio

Correct.

As I understand thing, nvidia's closed driver module is actually a pretty nice piece of software, but I'm highly suspicious of why anyone would need a 256MB GF5 under linux, anyway.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
<italian accent>

My friend Professor, without Windows XP and new technology a lot of my movies would not be a reality, and a lot of people would not get the pleasure they do by watching them

</italian accent>

Soup_Nazi

What is this storage?
I was enjoying that common theme being tied together so neatly and summaried effectively.

yes, thankyou for summarizing your arguments so well for the SF new arrivals. Clearly Microsoft make superior software :wink:

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
  • [list:1af094a5db]
    A4abacus.jpg
[/list:u:1af094a5db]

Did anyone notice that this is a 70-BIT SYSTEM ! What else are they holding back from us?!?