Questions for AVG 6.0 Free edition users

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
A couple of little questions, which don't matter for myself, but are in regards to setting AVG up on a computer whose user, if left unprotected, probably falls in a higher risk category for viral infection.

1) In the readme file that accompanies the d/l, it states
2. Microsoft Office support

Since the build 125, there is a plugin for Office 2000 (or higher)
which scans documents before they are opened in the Office applications.
If you have installed AVG before that build, you can activate
the plugin by running the batch file AVGOFF2K.BAT
Yet there is no such batch file in the Grisoft/AVG directory....although there is a library file (AVGOFF2K.dll). I really would like to have this option work because the user recieves word etc. type docs on a fairly regular basis.

2) Regarding the Outlook or OE5 plugin, I don't think incoming email is getting scanned. I see that outgoing messages from the system get the AVG confirmation attached to them (when that option is selected), but incoming mail is not certified. Anyone else know anything about it?

CK

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
I installed it a few times but I don't really like the software. It is crappy about updates for dial-up users since it only allows it to update at a specific time.

1) Judging by the wording, it is implied that it is automatically running in builds greater than 125.

2) I didn't test this when I installed it but assumed it would work.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I have no probs with AVG scanning emails with XP Pro and Outlook XP. It puts in the little "Incoming mail is certified virus free" tag on all incomers. I turned off the scanning on outgoing. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to shutdown Outlook when installing/updating AVG, otherwise the proggy will prompt you to turn it off before updating.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Will Rickards WT said:
1) Judging by the wording, it is implied that it is automatically running in builds greater than 125.

2) I didn't test this when I installed it but assumed it would work.
Unfortunately, neither seem to be working. When opening an office doc, I see no evidence that its being scanned.
DrunkenBastard said:
I have no probs with AVG scanning emails with XP Pro and Outlook XP. It puts in the little "Incoming mail is certified virus free" tag on all incomers.
Interesting. The user's system has XP home and Outlook 2K and no cerfification tag is given for incoming mail. Outgoing, however, recieves a tag. I tried this on my own system (W2K and O2K) and I get the same null result for incoming mail.

CK