Quietest HD for HTPC

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm looking for the quietest HD I can get to put in my HTPC (idle is more important than seek). It doesn't need to be big (even only 20 gig would be fine). A cooler running drive would be helpful.

I haven't been keeping on top of HDs lately, so what's my best choice?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If you can find a Hitachi 180GXP, that would be a good choice. The newer 7k250 is a bit noisier, but performs better. A Samsung P80 is also a possibility.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Get a 2.5" laptop drive. SilentPCReview has few articles on them, IIRC at least Fujitsu and Samsung have positive comments on the forums.

Cheers,

Jan

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Anything not FDB is out.. so that 5400 rm samsung is probably gone. the 180gxp and the 7k250 are out because of the recalibration noise (can be resolved on 7k250)... a laptop drive is a good choice(although some seem to have a high pitched noise), or a DM+9, or a Samsung p80.

Stereodude

Not really a
Jan Kivar said:
Get a 2.5" laptop drive. SilentPCReview has few articles on them, IIRC at least Fujitsu and Samsung have positive comments on the forums.

Cheers,

Jan
I'll take a look, but I wasn't aware that they were quieter. :?:

I'll check out SilentPCReview too.

Now, all I need is one of these (English translation of a French site). LINK

That Pentium M (.09um Dothan) is pretty impressive. It ran at at 600MHz, 800MHz, and 1gHz stabily without even a heatsink (bare die). With a heatsink and no fan it did 1.7Ghz (rated speed) under 60C.

Stereodude

Not really a
blakerwry said:
oh yeah, laptop drives are horribly expensive and reletively slow... I'd go with the p80 or DM+9
You can get a 40 gig for $80 or so (which is cheap enough for what I want), and with gigabit ethernet to a 1TB RAID-5 array in a server speed doesn't matter all that much.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
the 180gxp and the 7k250 are out because of the recalibration noise

Baloney. My 180GXPs never made a peep. If they weren't hot and giving data, I might have thought that they weren't working.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
oh yeah, laptop drives are horribly expensive and reletively slow...

Yes... I think that you have that backwards. They're relatively expensive and horribly slow.

Of course, if you're going to blow money for as quiet as quiet can be, just set up a dumb terminal and put the real computer in a closet.