Radeon 9000 vs. 8500

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Question: for dual monitor heavy office-type work with some photoshop, what card would be preferred: an ATi Radeon 8500 with 128 MB of RAM, or a Radeon 9000 with 64 MB of RAM?

I've got two computers that need video cards, and these are the two I've got readily available. If one will be used with dual monitors and is a little more heavily used compared to the other computer with a single monitor, which computer should get which. Gaming performance is nearly irrelevant, although comments for gaming purposes would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adcadet

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
They will be roughly equivalent, but I would get the 9000 if I was buying new because 1) it'd be more available 2) likely be cheaper 3) be passive

For 2D work as you've mentioned no RAM past say... about 8MB will ever be touched.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
8500. Has more RAM. Slightly faster chip.

bleh.

You know as well as I do that 2D processing is CPU limited (and limited to the refresh rate of the screen anyway)... along with the previous mention of 2D use of RAM.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
btw, the gfx table listed by CityK in another thread shows the 8500 as having a single 400MHz DAC, while the 9000 has 2x400MHz DACs.

1 DAC is needed per output normally (there are hacks to get 2 outputs out of a single DAC).

If going the 8500 route, make sure it can do 2 outputs simultaneously if you want dual monitors.