Ram rocks!!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just upgraded my Athlon 1.4 ghz, Asus A7m266 from 512 MB PC 133 to 1 gig stick of PC 2100 ecc registered ram.

I notice a big snap difference in both I.E. and Outlook Express using Windows 2000. The bogs are gone, and everything seems to occuring on ball bearings...

More testing as I go on Photoshop...

s

PS makes me want to try two gigs...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The fact that he noticed an improvement in snap shows he made the right choice. If he had picked the CPU instead then he still would have been limited by the RAM. There isn't likely to be a big improvement going from 1->2GB. The next step would be a CPU improvement.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've found the 17 drive R2D2 style case I've been looking for.
Supermicro http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/E7505/X5DA8.htm

And, the ram I just bought will work perfectly for that motherboard.

I paid 239 for the ram.

Trade in on a POS MacAlley Firewire card for my powerbook.

Currently, playing DVD, Scanning in Photo shop, and typing this in IE, I'm using about 640 to 730 MB of ram, on peak, reported by Task Manager.

Low processor usage is 96 percent, to 100 percent. Next step is to upgrade to the server box, and, I'm debating between the Matrox 128 para and the 750 IIRC.

It would be really nice to have a LCD 19 inch display, or another 21 inch Hitachi on the desktop, with about a 3.0 Xeon. Or, the 1 mb version.
That makes me want to wait a bit, and and add more ram, heh, heh, heh.
2 gig would be fine.

Yes, I'm at my processor limit at this point. I know it, and, I'm aiming at an upgrade...

Pirates of the Caribbean rocks on this machine...

s