Recommendation for FP LCD

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Hi gurus's,

I'm thinking of going the FP display route for space reasons primarily--at present I'm using a 19" CRT--and was wanting recommendations on models to look at as I have not dabbled in these waters.

I'm looking at 19" CRT's, maybe a 17" if it's really good. I don't do FP shooters--very occassionaly, if at all, Hearts of Iron has my interest at the moment. I mainly do software dev, and my wife does some graphic design, both text heavy so legibility is paramount. On the CRT, I run 1280x960, and if things were a little bigger, I'd be happy, so I don't want to be runnning 2048 x 1536 :)

Apart from dead pixel's and the return policy, what else should I look for?

Are pixels likely to die after use, or is it more a case of they are dead from day one?

Thanks for your help

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
what else should I look for?
Response time. It matters more then just for gaming. For example, scrolling up and down pages and trying to read the text; mouse trails as its dragged quickly across the screen -- two annoying things that screens with quick response times would likely resolve.

Contrast ratio.

Feature that might come in handy -- usb hub; basic switch for hooking up two different computers at same time; height, swivel, tilt, pivot (dodge, thrust, parry, spin, BOINGGGGGG!....Hmm, maybe I should have spun then parried); other connections like s-video etc if of use to you....

Are pixels likely to die after use, or is it more a case of they are dead from day one?
More likely to be the case from day one.

However, although not a very likely occurence, it certainly is not unheard of that some may die or get stuck. But then again, sometimes the dead ones, either those from day one or fresh departures, come back to life.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
AnandTech seem to like the Dell 1905FP--they imply it is a badged version of the Samsung 193T. The price is certainly right in Aus $588.00 delivered, which puts it a couple of hundred $ cheaper than LG, BenQ etc. And as my Mitsubishi DiamondTron DV19NF has just died--three years and three months old and it has been in for major repairs twice already, I think I need a new monitor pronto. Anybody have any experience/know anything about the Dell?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
One of my personal machines uses a Samsung 192T, and I like it a lot. For me, 19" screens are the best. They combine the right native resolution with screen size for my eyes. You might also want to look into the AGNeovo F-419.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
Buck said:
One of my personal machines uses a Samsung 192T, and I like it a lot. For me, 19" screens are the best. They combine the right native resolution with screen size for my eyes. You might also want to look into the AGNeovo F-419.

I have a black AG Neovo F-419 that I bought recently (also available in beige). I use it for utilitarian purposes, meaning easily carryable between rooms and transportable in the back seat of your motorcar when the need arises.

It had the best looking image for the money compared to similarly-priced CTX models and other mid-priced models. It has digital and VGA analogue inputs.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've never heard of AG Neovo?! Newegg has the F-419 for $318 - $50 MIR + $12 shipping. Are these comparable to the Dell 1905FPs?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
LiamC said:
AnandTech seem to like the Dell 1905FP--they imply it is a badged version of the Samsung 193T. The price is certainly right in Aus $588.00 delivered, which puts it a couple of hundred $ cheaper than LG, BenQ etc.
I couldn't find any references on Dell Australia's site to indicate the warranty is anything other than 12 months. Samsung and the other brands you mentioned include three years. You also don't have to deal with Dell's call center ...

The 193T is no longer available in Oz; the replacement is the 910T, which if you can actually find one, should be about AU$700 for a silver one (and $800 for black :evil: ). IMO, Samsung prices, product selection and availability in this part of the world are just terrible.

The Benq FP91E looks to be equivalent (probably the same panel) and goes for about AU$650. Still too expensive in my book.

Acer AL1913BSM looks significantly more realistically priced at under AU$550, but I suspect this price excludes DVI. I also have no idea what sort of quality it is, but the specs look okay.

Because of the poor selection and outrageous pricing in Oz, I'm still shying away for LCD monitors for our own use. :(

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
I've never heard of AG Neovo?! Newegg has the F-419 for $318 - $50 MIR + $12 shipping. Are these comparable to the Dell 1905FPs?

The F-series is their Value Line, and I think they are comparable to Dell monitors. Some of the other series from AG Neovo are certainly better then the offerings from Dell.

http://www.neovo-usa.com/products/products.htm

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The off-brand LCD that I have been buying is the Sceptre X9g. 700:1 contrast ratio and a 15ms response time for $325, plus DVI support.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The AG Neovo F-419 is $285 after $50 rebate at ZipZoomFly. Free 2nd day shipping, tax if applicable on $335.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
As it happens, I just noticed reasonably priced LCD monitors on a supplier's pricelist, and they turned out to be ... AG Neovo.

However, there are two incarnations of the F-419; one has a rated response of 12 mS but the other is 25mS.

The 12mS version should sell under AU$525.

According to the specs, viewing angles are poor for a 19" monitor: 140H and only 130V. :( At least it has DVI.