Recording Modem Wave Output

Piyono

Storage is cool
Listed among the options in the Record Source drop-down in WaveLab is the wave driver from my modem. One would think this means that with my phone plugged into my modem I could record telephone conversations "inside the box". However, when I hit 'record' an error message appears, telling me I have my sample rate or bit depth set incorrectly, regardless of the setting.

Is it not possible to record audio directly from the wave driver output of a PCI modem?

Piyono

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Piyono said:
Is it not possible to record audio directly from the wave driver output of a PCI modem?

Yes. If it's a "voice" modem. And if you have an audio cable running from the modem's internal audio-out pins to dedicated "Modem" input pins on your sound card.

Otherwise, you'd run a standard miniplug connector cable from the external line-out or speaker jack of your voice modem over to the external line-in jack of your sound card. In which case you would not want to select "Modem" as the record source. You would want to select "Line-in".

At least, this is how things used to work back in 1998 when I used to do this sort of thing. You can't do this sort of thing unless your hardware supports it and you've hooked everything up correctly.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Do you not hate it when people ask negative questions?

Piyono

Storage is cool
Yes. If it's a "voice" modem. And if you have an audio cable running from the modem's internal audio-out pins to dedicated "Modem" input pins on your sound card.

Well, for starters, my modem and my sound card lack these connectors. Moreover, that's not quite what I'm after. I can already take an analog signal to my soundcard using my JK Audio handset tap. I want to record directly into my audio software using the modem's wave drivers.

Do you not hate it when people ask negative questions?
:p

Please pardon my pessimistic proclivities.

Piyono

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Piyono said:
I want to record directly into my audio software using the modem's wave drivers.

Ok, let me ask more directly: is your modem a so-called "voice modem" or a modem with "voice" capability?

I can plug a 1200 baud, 8-bit ISA modem into my PC, install some badly designed audio software, and then see "modem wave driver" as an option for the record source.

So I'll say it again: unless you've got a modem that explicitly supports direct sound capture via some method - whether it's over the freaking PCI bus or through an audio connector of some sort - you can click on that option forever and never have anything useful happen.

Are you sure your modem supports what you are asking it to do?

Piyono

Storage is cool
Goodness...
If memory prevails it's a USR 3094 OEM modem. I believe it was billed as a "Voice Fax" modem, but I guess I could be wrong.

]-[