(Red Carpet) Introducing...

Adcadet

Storage Freak
welcome.

How's the floppy eradication plan going? You'll be happy to note that my Tyan Tiger MP setup lacks a floppy - even though WinXP has a link for it in "My Computer"

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Most of my machines don't have them, either. I have a couple of USB floppy drives if I ever need one.

AD, you can use TweakUI for XP to get rid of that link if you don't want to see it.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
My floppy rests on the floor of the case not physically mounted and unreachable in a buttoned-up case.

Murphy's Law you know, I've had to use it about ten times in the last two weeks.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have a network of machines and only about 1/4 have floppies. If I need access to a floppy on a machine that does not have one, I simply share another machines floppy. The process is a reasonable compromise, that works and allows an extra bay when needed. The bay shortage seems to be more and more prevalent with modern non-expandable boxes that seem to be everywhere now.

James

Storage is cool
Think of the buildup for the Blues Brothers...

(Re) introducing James Walker...

You knew him and loved him as JamesW, the spelling nut and occasional FAQ-writer. Now he's back, slightly shorter (name-wise, but in reality still the same imposing stature) and no better than he was before - Ladies and gentlemen, I give you : James!

*crickets*

Oh come now, surely there wouldn't be an actual Tumbleweed in the bar?! *grumble*

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Boy and I just went out and bought a spell checker for my browser. Figures James would show up shortly thereafter! :wink:

P.S. Welcome James, Will and Clipton.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
A computer without a floppy drive is like a car without a spare tire. Sure, you hope you don't have to use the damn thing very often, but I wouldn't dream of not having one. In the workshop, building and fixing machines eight hours a day as we do, they are utterly indispensible.

That might be a matter for some controversy, but on the other hand,there is no doubt whatever that a forum without Will and James in it would be a poorer place. Welcome guys. :)

(Why is Cliptin missing? I already said hi to Cliptin in another thread. Not that his name would look amis in the sentence above, of course)

EBB

What is this storage?
Without a flopy diks it is a major pain to run some utilities. Sure one can burn a burn a bootblae CD-R, but it sure is a hassle.

Eric

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Welcome Eric. I agree with you about floppies. I'd feel very insecure about a PC without one. When all else fails it's nice to have that bootable floppy to fall back on.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Welcome Eric!

Please move all discussion of floppies to the new thread in the computers forum ;) Take the poll, let your voice be heard.... blah blah blah

balding_ape

What is this storage?
Wow, all the old fixtures are here. Cool!

Way to go, guys, it's up, it's running, and I like it. Kudos to Handruin & Co.

Thanks for the invite, Flagreen! :D