RedHat 8 email problems

Adcadet

Storage Freak
hey all -
I recently setup RH8 on my desktop and generally love it. Two things really bug me:
1. Lack of multi-monitor support. If anybody can help me get my ATI8500 powering two monitors, I'd be very grateful. But I'm not holding my breath.

2. I can't receive email. I've tried both Kmaila nd Evolution, but they both refuse to download email. And I know I've got some! I'm using IMAP, and have followed all of the instructins my university gives. I can send mail just fine, I just can't receive any mail. One thing that I suspect may be a problem is the firewall. It's set to "high" and I can't seem to change it. I enter the utility to change it, give it the root password, turn it off, and my email still doesn't receive. I go back to the firewall utility, and it's set to high again! Is this just Red Hat trying to get me to set it to high, or can I really not change it? I've logged in as root before, and it does the same thing. Ug! Does anybody know what's going on?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I would doubt that the firewall would be your problem as you are sending an outgoing connection to the mail server and then requesting data from that connection... very similar to surfing to a website.

One thing I noticed about evolution is it would sometimes "forget" .. or not save my IMAP password... and didn't always ask me for it... when it doesn't know my password it can't get my mail... duh.... I could usually fix this by clicking on my email address, typing in my pass and waiting a few moments... but that was a hassle...

so, I have just gone over to Mozilla mail for my IMAP needs.. It works great for the 4 or 5 IMAP acounts I use on it daily

Adcadet

Storage Freak
thanks for the info Blake. But the strange thing is, KMail wouldn't work either. After my last final today I'll see about setting Mozilla's mail client and see if I can get it to work.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
ok, I configured my mail account for my ISP which I rarely use. I can receive that mail. Must be something about my school's IMAP account.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
AHHHH! Stupid mistake. OK, Evolution puts each mail account's email into it's own inbox. For some reaon the default inbox was set to my other account, and I didn't have the folder view option visible....so I've had a bunch of email in my university account, but just wasn't seeing it.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
lol... i've seen that happen... I was working in tech support.. and some old lady set her outlook to view only files that have already been read... so in other words.. any new mail she got was invisible... and she was complaining that outlook said she had unread messages and she couldn't find them... lol...