Redhill.net.au: 1 year, 0 updates

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tannin's web site is undoubtedly a fantastically useful place. I visit there fairly regularly and send others there even more regularly.

Still, it's been a year since the last update (Sept. 7, 2002). Since summer is coming in Ballarat, we know no one is going to update it until, oh, March or April.

So... in the interest of making sure the brown fuzzy one has plenty of time for bananas and the bald, skinny one has plent of time for amateur ornithology, perhaps we could get together write some short little bits Tony could stick in so we could pretend he's done some work. :)

Just a thought.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Sounds good. I've been thinking the same thing, 1 year, and no updates. I guess this bird business has really distracted the old boy.

Mercutio

Current boards: I imagine the Gigabyte 7VAX (P) deserves a mention. Probably also one of the nforce2 mainstays, like the Epox 8RDA or the Abit NF7. Others? Tannin like Albatron. P4s? No idea.

Current drives: Samsung Spin40s and 80s (120s and 160s, too, but probably not for Tannin's customers), WD *SE and Raptor units. Seagate's first all-time-first SATA drive.

Current CPUs: No mention on Tony's site of Barton CPUs or the highly overclockable Tbreds. Nothing about the lamentable passing of the Duron. No discussion of Hyperthreading, nothing current on Intel v. AMD IPC...

Tannin completely skips discussion of graphics chips. I'm sure there's at least some confusion about Geforce4 MXs and ATI part numbering that could be cleared up.

His discussion on monitors is a little out of date, too. No mention at all of LCDs.

Yes, I'm just this bored right now.

Mercutio

Well, we rather need some feedback from Tannin, but assuming that we get it, the right thing to do is probably to break things up into sections (CPU, hard disk, Monitors, Video cards, maybe?) with one or more people working on each section. Tannin can probably drag himself indoors long enough to snap his own pictures.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tannin is so over-committed right now that he has to borrow one of my hands to scratch with. Luckily, I have four of them. So while getting hold of Tannin might be difficult, I can take pictures.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Wow! That's a very generous offer, team.

I'm not sure how that would work - particularly as the site has always been abut what Red Hill likes and trusts (as opposed to the industry in general) .... but then, speaking broadly and generally, we all like much the same things most of the time. Which sort of makes sense, when you think about it, as over the years we have all compared notes so often that the cream of the hardware sort of floats to the top. And also, because (let's face it) in recent times I just haven't had the time to be too interested in computer hardware and do as much research and benchmarking and stuff as I used to, which means that instead of (e.g.) buying five different video cards and testing them out, I just tell Tea to ask you guys.

These days, if you are looking for the Aussie hardware guru, LiamC is your man. Our Bill has ... well ... you know the scene from the movie? The one where young Wolfgang Amadus or young Ludwig gets home from his lesson with the best pianist in the city, and the old man man says:

Mrs Mozart? I am zorry, but can no longer teach your boy Wolfgang. Now, I can only learn from him.