Refurbished Maxtor

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
One of my Maxtoror drives died and I sent it in for warranty replacement. There was no time to wait so I purchased another drive. (I would have written off the experience as not being worth the hassle, but a 250GB/8MB cache drive is of some value.) How will the replacement drive be packaged and how quickly does Maxtor ship? I don't trust refurbos; what should I do, try to sell it on e-Bay?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
IIRC Maxtor ships 2nd day air if you do advance replacement. They're really picky about packaging, so that's not a bad idea. You'll receive a refurb drive of the same or faster spindle speed and the same or greater capacity. They don't distinguish by performance. Most of the time I've gotten something better/bigger from the deal, but once I sent in a DM9+ and got back an ancient DM80.

The drive comes in a standard, hard disk sized box with IIRC a foam molding on its interior.

LunarMist

Thanks, Merc. In this instance there is no other replacement. Maxtor only makes one IDE 250GB/8MB cache 7200 rpm drive. I did not opt for the advance replacment drive because they wanted to hold my MC for the full MSRP. Meanwhile I bought a new drive for $160 at CUSA, no rebate. :)

Does the refurb drive come in a sealed antistatic bag? Should I sell it without opening and testing it?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Unless they have changed their procedure, Lunar One, yes to both questions. Err ... I mean yes, sealed bag, and yes, keep it sealed up. At least I would - seems to me that a buyer might prefer it that way.

LunarMist

Update: Maxtor received the dead drive on 5/3 and sent the replacement on 5/5. It was received here on 5/7, but I just returned from 12 days of travel. Not bad, I think. Of course the 250GB drive is a refurb, so off to eBay it goes. How much is a sealed refurb worth, about $100?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
LunarMist said:
Update: Maxtor received the dead drive on 5/3 and sent the replacement on 5/5. It was received here on 5/7, but I just returned from 12 days of travel. Not bad, I think. Of course the 250GB drive is a refurb, so off to eBay it goes. How much is a sealed refurb worth, about $100?

Let's put it this way, I have a WD2500JD (Western Digital, 250GB, SATA) that I'm looking to sell for $175.00.