regarding half.com

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
In another thread (the Paypal one)
mubs said:
I find the world of Ebay weird; so many listings for "Brand New, unused" and deep in the listing body they say it's a refurbished item that's never been opened. Sheer misrepresentation. New <> Refurb.
I saw similar misrepresentation with books advertised on half.com. Hardcopies turn out to be paperbacks; full colour turns out to be b/w "international version" (which I'm entirely unclear whether they are legitimate or pirated copies) etc. etc. etc.

Up until a day or two ago, I had never heard of half.com. Obviously now a part of ebay. Anyone actually use them before?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've used Half.com for three or four years. Mostly to buy CDs (rarely) and DVDs (much more often).

Half.com is a good way to get legit copies of DVD sets that cost way too much at MSRP ($99 for an X-files season? I'll wait and get it on half.com)

And I can't say I've had a problem.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
A relative abroad wanted a hard-to-find grad-level textbook. Amazon didn't have it, but a bookseller (SuperBookDeals.com) at the Amz Marketplace did have new copies available. I ordered one, and it was a positive experience, albeit very slow. The book was new as claimed, but printed prominently was the alert that it was an international edition and was not to be sold inside the United States (which it was, and the seller had no way of knowing I was going to be sending it off abroad).

I guess this sort of gray-market stuff happens all the time. Who knows, it may not even be an authentic McGraw-Hill book, but a superb knock-off from an Asian country. I've read and heard so much about the high-level of expertise that these guys have in producing knock-offs that even experts have a difficult time telling if the item is a fake or not. I've heard that the very best of the fakers do only Rolexes and Omegas - small size, high value, and that many reputed jewellers around the world sell these fakes without realizing it.

There's not a lot John Public can do other than stick with reputable vendors and hope for the best.