Remember Ravi Shankar?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I happened to catch "Monterey Pop" on the boob tube last night just in time to catch Ravi playing his sitar (whoopee!) for what was ten minute's worth of pure torture. But seeing all those hippies in the crowd was a hoot. I never was into Ravi back then in '67 though I was a huge Beatles fan. Sadly I missed Hendrix, Janis Joplin and several others I would have liked to have seen again. Looking back at that whole eastern mysticism / physcodelic / mind expanding drug thing sure looks stupid and silly now. About the only thing I haven't changed my opinion about since then is good ole Ravi. He still stinks in my opinion. Give me five minutes alone with him and his obnoxious sitar = Problem solved. :evil:

In case your thinking this is really a totally useless thread... you're right!

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
P.S. - The five minute alone scenario goes for Barry Manilow and his frickin' piano as well. :evil:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a couple of Ravi Shankar CDs. It's challenging music - and remember that it's classical Indian music, not nearly the same thing as the Beatles or Rolling Stones or whatever (Indian and in fact middle-eastern pop music is a very different thing, something I find more listenable than the American/Western popular music. Maybe the mix in styles and instrumentation...)

Ravi works, IMHO, as "mood" music, but I find it very difficult to actively listen to it as well.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Incidently, I'm given to understand that current minor pop star Nora Jones (jazz/pop vocalist. I haven't heard of her either) is Ravi Shankar's daughter.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance

FWIW, I just happen to own a sitar! Well, it's my *second* sitar (the first a Coral) and it's an electrik one:

JJb.jpg

http://www.gary-hendershot.com/instruments/JerryJones_Electric-Sitar.html