Replace Epox with MSI?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
If you have noticed the thread in the Tech Support forum, I have to replace at least three Epox 8KHA+ motherboards with bad capacitors.

The boards are just over two years old and the distributor has told me "no dice" with warranties. They have offered me replacement boards for a bit over US$35 each, but have no idea whether the replacements are immune to the original problem. :p

Alternatively, I could buy current equivalents from MSI for about US$40 each. Both are KT266A and full ATX format. The MSI board is the KT2 Combo-L

One possible negative for the MSI is its use of a Via NIC - I'm fairly sure the Epox uses a common-as-muck Realtek - so I wonder about Linux driver support.

Opinions? (I promise not to bite).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Linux supports the Via NIC also; you don't need to worry about that one.
I'm not sure MSI is a step up from Epox, however.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Neither am I. In fact, in the past I would have regarded it as a step down.

However, the boards are relatively new and, as near as I can tell, likely to be free of the Curse of the Capacitor.

The Epox boards were pretty good otherwise though ... :-?

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
After many problems with leaking capacitators on MSI mobos, I wouldn't recommend it. They have also been a 1-2 years old.

I'm still having the least amount of problems with Asus mobos (after Abit, MSI and some others).

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
time said:
Neither am I. In fact, in the past I would have regarded it as a step down

I would agree. However, that is not to say that you can't pluck a diamond from the rough. Indeed, both my MSI KT133A and ECS K7S5A have performed flawlessly to this point....although I no longer have the ECS in my possesion so I can't confirm this 100%, but I haven't heard any complaints from its user.....(hmm, note to self - stop buying cheap motherboards).

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
IIRC, this capacitor problem isn't EPoX specific. Apparently, there was some industrial espionage at the firm that used to have a monopoly on these caps. But the intrepid spy did not get all of the formula used for (I think) the insulation layer - capacitors made from the copy formula break down after a couple of years. Abit were the first to suffer from this malaise apparently. AnandTech and a few other sites started rabbitting on about "quality" capacitors in their reviews 12 months or so back - probably cashing in on this in various reviews. Sorry I can't help with who is immune to this.

You may have more luck going above your distributors head - this is a known problem - and certainly in Australia, this is a manufacturing defect applicable under the Trade Practices Act.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Okay, I'm thinking of spending more. How about the Gigabyte 7N400-L1? Its main drawback appears to be a lack of SATA, but it does feature 3-phase power.

Alternatively, there's the 7VT600 1394. It has SATA and Firewire (which I don't need in this case) and a stupid northbridge fan (all of which fail with a year or two :evil: ).

These customers don't need SATA right now - I was just thinking ahead (possibly unnecessarily).

I emailed Epox in Taiwan asking for reassurance that replacements would not have the same problem. They replied, asking for serial numbers. :(

time

Storage? I am Storage!
<bump>

I've been through everything available, and I'd still like to use Gigabyte, but I'm very concerned that they chose to omit the ATX12V connector in the 7VT600. Combined with only two-phase power (when their nForce and many other Athlon boards use three-phase), it doesn't inspire confidence.

However, I'd guess that folks here like Tannin, Mercutio and probably others have used this board.

So WHAT'S YOUR EXPERIENCE, guys? :)

I really, really wanted to stick wth SATA-enabled boards, but that feature only seems to be available with KT600 or top-of-the-range nForce boards. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a few 7VT600s in service and 52 7S748s (the motherboards my boss purchased for our labs). The boards are functionally identical and the experience of using them from a technician's perspective was more-or-less identical, as it is with every other gigabyte board.

I am not a SiS fan by any means. Had I a choice in the matter I would have chosen the Via. That's personal preference. I haven't had any problems with either of the above yet.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, after tentatively ordering 7VT600, I got cold feet and changed to 7N400 Pro2. It's an extra $35, but it's the most comprehensive socket A board I've ever seen:

nForce 2 Ultra 400
4x DRAM slots (with dual-channel)
4x ATA with RAID
2x SATA with RAID
Gigabit LAN
3x 1394 Firewire
6x USB 2.0
S/PDIF with optical
Audio breakout panel
3-phase voltage regulation
Dual BIOS

The main feature is that this is a premium board. When released originally, it was good value at $150; now that's it's $100, it's a bargain.

The electrolytic capacitors are Sanyo, Rubycon or Nichicon. From what I've read, these three Japanese brands are the best in the business. The large 3300 microfarad ones in the CPU voltage regulator are the HM model in the Nichicon 'High Reliability type' series, and feature 'Extremely Low Impedance' and 'High Reliability'.

I think that's the jackpot in motherboard capacitor terms. :mrgrn: