Replacement thermal pads

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anyone know where to get thermal pads to replace those found on retail HSFs? AMD's site makes some mention of them. I've never seen one. Are they out there?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Thermal pads are a poor substitute for quality thermal grease. They don't have nearly the heat transfer ability.

A large syringe of Arctic Silver 3 is enough to do dozens of CPU's and you could be reassured that you are getting the best possible heat transfer from CPU-to-heatsink. AS3 is also very easy to apply and clean-up.

That being said, if I absolutely had to use a thermal pad on something I would use the ones that Gary sells.

Unfortunately he seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Handruin

Administrator
Groltz said:
Thermal pads are a poor substitute for quality thermal grease. They don't have nearly the heat transfer ability.

A large syringe of Arctic Silver 3 is enough to do dozens of CPU's and you could be reassured that you are getting the best possible heat transfer from CPU-to-heatsink. AS3 is also very easy to apply and clean-up.

That being said, if I absolutely had to use a thermal pad on something I would use the ones that Gary sells.

Unfortunately he seems to be out of stock at the moment.

This is true, but I remember reading something (maybe it was here) that thermal pads do have a place in the field. Field being high availablity servers. I remember reading that thermal grease can get hard and brittle over long periods of time making it less effective. Where as a thermal pad does not have this problem and is generally used in high availability servers.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a tendency to lose tubes of artic silver after a few weeks. I don't know where they go. That's why they're lost. It gets expensive after awhile.
It's exceptionally annoying since I do almost all my techwork in one room and I have all my tools in one place, and I have a dedicated toolbag for onsite work. Maybe my cats play with them or something.

If pads are cheap and somewhat effective, it might be a worthwhile alternative for me.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Merc, I believe I saw some at Best Buy too (I happened to catch a glimpse of what I thought were some thermal pads while doing some hurried last minute shopping this past Christmas - it stuck in my mind cause, at the time, I thought it odd that they would actually be stocking such an item. Upon reflection, however, I guess it makes sense that they would sell them)....but given that it was BB, they're probably costly and not of the best quality.

CK

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
time said:
Groltz, that's just complete and utter BS. Phase change thermal pads are at least as good as any paste. AMD strongly recommends them, for a variety of reasons.

Mercutio: http://www.dansdata.com/powerdev.htm

I dont think it's BS.

1) The two times I tried a heatsink with a pad and then switched to a grease using the same HSF my temps have gone down several degrees

2) I have found that regular white thermal grease on 10 year old computers has not gotten hard, brittle, or anything else that would affect its performance.

I have read AMD's official stance... Grease for testing and pads for everything else.... but for me, I'm using pads.