SATA 2 or 3 laptops?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Any quick way to tell if the SATA on a laptop is 2 or 3?

Would be nice to get max throughput out of an SSD...

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Any quick way to tell if the SATA on a laptop is 2 or 3?

Would be nice to get max throughput out of an SSD...

Most are only 2 at the moment, as it's rare for someone to install an additional controller in a laptop to get SATA3...

Just wait for the next-gen chipsets for laptops, which on the Intel side should be the 6x series (X6x, P6x, H6x).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't think any would be SATA 3.0 yet. Intel does not have that in a mobile ICH yet AFAIK. Maybe AMD does, but I avoid their slugs.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Most are only 2 at the moment, as it's rare for someone to install an additional controller in a laptop to get SATA3...

Just wait for the next-gen chipsets for laptops, which on the Intel side should be the 6x series (X6x, P6x, H6x).

Do any exist?

http://laptoping.com/intel-huron-river-laptop-platform.html

Intel plans to announce its next generation laptop platform, named “Huron River”, in the first quarter of 2011, according to Digitimes’ sources from motherboard and notebook makers. The “Huron River” platform reportedly includes “Sandy Bridge” processors, a 6-series chipset “Cougar Point”, and wireless modules codenamed “Rainbow Peak” and “Taylor Peak”.
The “Sandy Bridge” CPUs are based on 32nm production process and be available in both dual-core (Sandy Bridge-DC) and quad-core (Sandy Bridge-QC) versions. The next-gen chips will also integrate “Ironlake” graphics processor.
The “Cougar Point” chipset features SATA 6Gbps, but will not natively support USB 3.0, according to the sources.

^may or may not support USB3.0, DT is not always an accurate source...might not even be correct on SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3 is incorrect nomenclature :p )

http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-6-series-chipsets--naming-unveiled/8685.html

^no mention of laptops in the 'Cougar Point' series in that link.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie

Throughput is 300 mb/sec?

That would be enough. Often, however, I find it says SATA one, and, that would limit the Vertex Turbo's for instance, quite a bit...About 100 mb/sec lost.