Saving settings

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I just ordered a new motherboard. I could clone and reinstall my operating system, but I am contemplating installing XP 64bit with SP2.
I use Firefox for 90% of my browsing and IE-7 for the rest. I use Outlook Express for mail.
I would like to keep my address book and web links. Could I just copy the appropriate folders and then overlay them on the new install of Firefox, IE, and OE?
I dread this job. It's amazing how much junk an operating system can accumilate in 3 years. :crap:

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
File and Settings Transfer Wizard.
Grab your Firefox bookmarks by hand (or use Google Bookmark Sync or something).

Boom. All done.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I just export my FFox bookmarks to an html file and send that file to my hotmail account for safe keeping.

I've never used the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. If merc recommends it I'm sure it must be the best way though. I just copy my Outlooks Express DBX files, put them where I want them, and then have OE look at the folder for the data.

Should be easy.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've never used the transfer wizard. Don't know if I will be able to. I only have one power supply :crap:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Cool! I used a pair of virtual XP installs to play with File and Transfer wizard.
Looks like all the programs must be installed on the new computer and it brings the settings, keys and license info over.
And, I can burn all this info to a CD/DVD before I trash the old system.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Simple method. (Not that there aren't good methods mentioned above, just adding an alternative.)

1: Install Thunderbird on old system
2: Let Thunderbird import settings and mail and everything from Outbreak.
3: Build new system. Install Windows, Thunderbird, and whatever else you want.
4: Disconnect your DVD drive for the moment and plug your old drive into the new system instead.
5: Copy the folder d:\documents and settings\yourusername\application data\thunderbird\ to c:\documents and settings\yourusername\application data\
6: Disconnect old drive: you are done.

(Firefox is similar.)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I would use Thunderbird but it doesn't let me access all my Hotmail accounts from within the client like OE does. That's a really nice feature and very handy since I use three hotmail accounts for different things..

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmmmm .... I don't think I'd be calling that a "feature". It sounds very much like a deliberately (and you would think illegally) tied product to me. What's wrong with Microsoft's SMTP servers?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
FAST has been around since XP was released and you guys have never used it?
The command line versions can snarf up whole networks worth of of user data in one shot. It's amazingly useful.

The problem with just copying Documents and Settings is that in some cases users are actually smart enough to make their own directory structure someplace else. FAST finds and snags those things too without my having to take time to find that stuff. That's wonderful for weird crap like digicam software that insists on storing transferred photos in a subdirectory under "Program Files" or something similarly weird.

It's not smart enough to grab Firefox bookmarks or Lotus Notes ID files, but thinking of all the times I've used it, those are the only things I can remember having to make a special effort to get after using it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
How do you start FAST from the command prompt?
Can I presume the /? command will show all the switches?