SCSI disappointment

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Recently I added a Cheetah X15 to a computer. Ran ATTO and got best transfers of ~74MB/sec.
I have since added a LSI Logic 21320-r RAID controller and another X15. I set it up as RAID 0 (stripping). I ran ATTO on the setup and the best I got was ~84MB/sec.
I was expecting a lot higher numbers with the RAID setup. The RAID card is in a standard 32bit PCI slot. I upgraded to the latest drivers and tweaked everything I could find.
Was I expecting too much or am I missing something? Is it a case of 'you got what you paid for' in regards to the LSI card? (lack of memory etc)

Bozo :(

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Most likely You are hitting the max. PCI transfer rate of your motherboard. If You run WinBench99's DTR test (HDTach has been unreliable with RAID arrays in the past, dunno about the current situation), with RAID You should see the transfer rate go virtually unchanged (~80 MB/s) to the end of the array. With a single drive the transfer rate should decay (nearly linearly) when going towards the end, to approx. 40-45 MB/s at the end.

Cheers,

Jan

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Another annomoly is that Segates Seatools software cannot "see" the hard drives through the RAID adaptor. So much for checking the firmware settings.

The 'feel' is very quick. But I don't think it's faster than a single X15 drive.

Faster than IDE? I'll be able to test that as soon as I install a new Hitachi drive that just arrived.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The Hitachi runs at 56MB/sec.
About the fastest 'feeling' IDE drive I've seen in a while. Don't think it's on par with the SCSI though.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Anomaly? Sounds pretty normal to me.

If you can't see the drive individually, why would the utility?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is that an X15 or 15K.3? The X15 was only good for about 40 MB/sec. sustainer transfers.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
"Is that an X15 or 15K.3? The X15 was only good for about 40 MB/sec. sustainer transfers."

I believe it's one of each. I'll look into it Saturday.