SCSI DVD player?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi

I'm looking for a SCSI DVD player. Anyone have one they Like?

gs

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I'm using an old Toshiba sd-m1401. It has worked ok.
You can get a region fix for it also, if you need it.
Don't know if it's available anymore, I bought it some years ago. It was the only one available then (SCSI that is, and available as in Finland and from the distributors I use).

Someone else probably has some more recent info for you Greg?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Pioneer has a 10x drive that doesn't suck.

As much as I like SCSI optical drives, it's probably cheaper and easier to buy an IDE-to-SCSI converter or to run a drive through a USB or Firewire external bay.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
iT ISN'T EASY. usb OR firewire. USB is on this mobo, but slow.
The newer interfaces require a card, and I have no room.

gs

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
SCSI optical drives aren't that cheap or that great. I went through 3 SCSI burners before I gave up and just bought the cheapest IDE one I could find made by Cyberdrive. It has worked better than all of the SCSI optical drives I have owned. So maybe just replace the motherboard and then get an IDE DVD reader for like $40. Lite-On makes really good stuff and they are cheap.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My Yamaha SCSI drives were really nice. I just got to a point where I couldn't justify the cost of four 32x ATAPI drives for one 16x SCSI.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
I still run an all-SCSI set of opticals - Plextor 40TSi & 1210S CDRW, and a Toshiba SD-1201 5X/32X DVD-ROM that cost me quite a few pounds (£85 or so IIRC) when I bought it. They all still run reliably though :), particularly the 1210S writer, which I'd take ahead of any ATAPI drive even now (never had a coaster with it......).

GM

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I found a pioneer from HYpermicro for 99 bucks. Newest DVD reader they have out.

It's about 20 dollars more then a ide, but, I hope it will work, and last longer.

gs

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd love to go with SCSI opticals... but not until they start slapping 68-pin interfaces on these suckers. I'm not paying more *and* snakeing a 50-pin ribbon across my case for these guys.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That would be nice. I've got a ribbon waiting for it already.
I've also got a busted ide chip on the mobo. Cheaper then a new mobo, and works just fine.

s

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I wish I could find a Serial ATA optical drive. Anyone seen one?