SCSI reliability?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I was thinking maxtor was claiming 1,000,000 hours on some of its ATA disks....

not sure exactly how they figure that mean time before failure, but it certainly isn't a measure of the average life of one of these disks.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe it's more accurate to say that if were running 100 15k.3s (we wish...), you would get a failure in 1-3 of the drives each year.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
You're right on Pradeep. Those numbers are based on a population of drives that are running.

C

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Pradeep said:
I believe it's more accurate to say that if were running 100 15k.3s (we wish...), you would get a failure in 1-3 of the drives each year.
I've got 93 IBM 15K drives across my 2 AS/400s. I lose about 3 drives a year. RAID is a wonderful thing.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Fushigi:
Don't blame Seagate for IBM's high number of failing drives. :lol:

:wink:

gs

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
blakerwry said:
I was thinking maxtor was claiming 1,000,000 hours on some of its ATA disks....

not sure exactly how they figure that mean time before failure, but it certainly isn't a measure of the average life of one of these disks.
1. Take a hundred* drives, run them through accelerated life testing (elevated temperature/humidity).
2. See how many accumulated hours of "run time" you get between failed drives.
3. Multiply by an acceleration factor (if applicable).

* Guess on my part. I know it's a large number, but I suppose it depends on how quickly you want to reach a certain MTBF rating (or how much test chamber space you have).