Seagate #1 HD manufacturer

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Er, has there been a time when Seagate wasn't the biggest drive manufacturer? Ever? It certainly has been for as long as I can remember.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Judging from the number of WDs I see in Dells, Gateways, IBM, and other 'store bought' computers, I would have thought WD was #1.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Yup. Seagate was #1 for years, but when Maxtor merged with Quantum, Quakstor went past them by a fair margin. So this is quite a significant change: Seagate, it seems, are back to #1.

WD are well behind Seagate, Quaxtor, and Hitachi, probably in front of Samsung but I'm not sure of that last. Samsung, remember, are strong worldwide, especially in Asia, whereas WD are very strong in the USA and weaker in the rest of the world.

But WD are much smaller than the three giants: Seagate, Maxtor & Hitachi. Hitachi, BTW, are probably quite a bit smaller than the old IBM was in its glory days.

Handruin

Administrator
Don't forget to include large system storage arrays (and those of a similar nature)...my work tends not to buy it's competitor's drives (cough IBM/Hitachi).

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Wouldn't Seagate's resurgance in the market place be at least partially due to their 'revamped' attitudes towards drive warranty periods?

The Barracuda family of SATA drives for example...