Seagate Cheetah Ultra 320 out of warranty...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm wondering what Seagate charges to fix such a drive?
Guess you have to be registered with them to find out.

Anyone registered, and know what they charge for a drive repair?

Thanks

GS esq.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Whatever that number is, it's not worth it in comparison with buying a new drive with a new full warranty.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Merc,

With a true HD repair, the value depends on the value of the data and unfortunately, that option tends to be really expensive. A HD replacement with a reconditioned drive is the choice that is suspect.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Drive was half of a raid 0, so the data recovery is not part of the picture.

I was actually wondering if it would be worth it for anyone to have it fixed by seagate, i.e. reconditioned, or, I should just give it away as a 500 dollar paper weight at Christmas;-)?

If the repair price was reasonable for a wholesaler, I'd be happy to ship it to anyone, if they pay the shipping...

I hate to see such a fine piece of equipment end up in the trash.

Also, 15k Cheetah 36 gig drives, what ever version this is, 15.3 or so, are still real close to being in their own league, speedwise. If the repair price was reasonable, or recondition price, I'd certainly consider reconditioning the drive.

By the way, my experience with Seagate Cheetah refurbs is they are either DOA, and that was only one, or, they last like this one has, 7-8 years.

By the way, this is not a reconditioned drive.

[Edit]

What is this storage?
...I was actually wondering if it would be worth it for anyone to have it fixed by seagate, i.e. reconditioned, or, I should just give it away as a 500 dollar paper weight at Christmas ;-) ?

You did check here to see if it is out of warranty, correct?

http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp

If so, and it is indeed out of warranty, then it's definitely not worth messing with -- as far as locating a vendor that deals in buying dead drives to be reconditioned / refurbished.

In any case, you still might want to Unity Electronics (below) a call to see if they are interested in your dead Cheetah. If they would give you $15 or $20 for it, that would be nice.

Hi

A refurbished Cheetah finally died, after about 5-6 years.

Wondering if anyone has any great places to get scsi drives?

How about these guys?
http://www.unityelectronics.com/cate...SI_Hard_Drives

Pricing looks too good to be true...

GS

Yes. Refurb SCSI drives actually sell for those prices nowadays. Everybody's going to SAS (as well as SATA2) in droves.

PS: Refurbished *enterprise* drives can be great bargains.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Edit:
Are you a scitzo version of Splash???
WOW, what happened? I thought life as a dolphin was a really good thing???