Seagate Cutting Warranties

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Crappy drives? Maybe in a few years they will go bust and be sold to some other company.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Didn't Seagate already go bust once? They went private, upped their warranty, and then bought Maxtor. Now crap.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I have a problem with this post.

From this list, I see TWO, TWO drives that have had reduced warranty.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Those are product lines. Losing Barracuda drives means losing 90% of what normal people will buy that says Seagate on it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I just bought a 640 gig Seagate drive with 5 year warranty. It does over 100 mb/sec data transfer, and, so far, the reviews have been very good on reliability. That said, I noticed Newegg had a NOT of bad things said about Seagate 7200 rpm drives, and, shopped carefully.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
What's a "Seagate"? Haven't bought a Seagate drive for many years now. Last time I bought a Western Digital it was what came with my new Thinkpad and had Vista pre-installed on it. Took two minutes with a screwdriver to remove both offending drive and offending operating system in one go. It's still sitting on my desk, never been powered up. I'll presumably sell it to someone one day, though off the top of my head I don't know anyone I dislike that much.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It seems a bit ridiculous that, now that Seagate now produces dogs that they add insult to injury and cut the warranty, as well.

At least with the warranty, you could rationalise that, when the cheap crap failed, it would get replaced. Now, no more.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It seems a bit ridiculous that, now that Seagate now produces dogs that they add insult to injury and cut the warranty, as well.

At least with the warranty, you could rationalise that, when the cheap crap failed, it would get replaced. Now, no more.