Seagates new laptop drives are finally avaliable..

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Only 5400 rpm? Where are the Seagate fast notebook drives such as Hitachi/IBM 7200 rpm, already available for six months?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Here. I replaced a Fujitsu 5400 rpm drive with one. The 7k60 is really fast for a notebook drive and quiet too. :) (Ok, it is not a 15K.3, but still.) I wish they also made one in the 30Gb capacity.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
LunarMist,

Thanks for the link for the 7k60. I didn't see any compatibility information. Can one stick one of these into any notebook computer that uses 2.5" drives? I'm wondering about the overall electrical / interface compatibility issues.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
mubs said:
I didn't see any compatibility information. Can one stick one of these into any notebook computer that uses 2.5" drives? I'm wondering about the overall electrical / interface compatibility issues.

They are all standardized like desktop IDE drives. Unless you have an ultra mini notebook, 9.5 mm height 2.5" form factor drives will fit anything. Sometimes, you will have a problem is with some drives that have a lip that prevent them from mating well with certain notebooks' drive slots.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the reply, e_dawg.

Notebooks I may possibly upgrade are an IBM T23 and a Dell Lattitude C640.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
To my knowledge the overhanging lip only affects certain Toshiba notebooks, but I could be wrong. And as an aside, Fujitsu drives have a similar lip.

Free