Selling Windows 2000?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
Like a stupid idiot, I actually bought, legal copies of Windows 2000 for each computer I was using it on. Now, I want to sell them.

Appears MSFT doesn't allow this< WTF?>????

I need to sell some form of hardware with each 'bundled with computer' copy I have?

How do you sell MSFT OS systems, to get around their bullshit licensing stuff?

I can't tell you how pissed I am, that after spending 190 bucks for each copy of 2000 Professional, I'm not supposed to be able to resell it?WTF!!!!

the good news is the frigging richest monopoly on the planet now has to pay me 328 bucks for their monopolyism. I'm REALLY thinking about going after them on the monopoly resale issue...

Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
PERHAPS THE REAL QUESTION IS, HOW DOES ONE SELL THEIR LEGAL COPIES OF WINDOWS 2000?
Greg

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
As an individual, you are able to purchase two types of licenses for an MS OS.

Retail, boxed copies can be freely moved from one PC to another, and from one owner to another so long as the old and new owners are complying with the EULA (can be installed on only one PC at a time, etc.)

OEM versions are sold with a piece of hw (typically a motherboard) or come installed on a PC you purchase. These are married, for life, to the hw or PC they were sold with. OEM copies of an MS OS can only be transferred along with the original hw or PC they came with. You may do so otherwise, but you and the purchaser are then breaking the EULA.

Once upon a time, MS didn't care about how OEM copies were moved from PC to PC. HW upgraders typically reused an OEM copy. Then MS tightened up the terms and today has gone to the ridiculous extent of saying if the motherboard dies, the EULA of the OEM OS running on it also dies and so you'll have to purchase both a new motherboard and a new copy of the OS.

Read the printed EULA that came with the OS. If you still have it. It may be available online in the OS (each copy if you have them installed and running right now). A web version is no good because EULAs go through stealth updates all the time.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That's the weird part: I don't have either copy operating, having long since sold, or given away the computers they originally ran on. I do have an idea, however....

Thanks

Greg