Serial (or USB, or parallel) controlled 120VAC

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Anyone know of a UL-listed, complete (i.e. not a DIY kit) device of some sort that can switch on/off standard 120 VAC, controlled via a serial port? I guess I'm looking for a device that has a serial port connector, a 120VAC input, and a standard 120VAC electrical outlet.

This is the sort of thing I would've built myself long ago with a basic relay, and might even try today if I weren't concerned about burning my workplace down. In this case however, a completed, professional-looking UL-listed device would be preferable. Any suggestions?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Thanks Jan. I've looked through the X10 site before. I think the drawback there is that you need the whole system (hence that "complete kit"). I'm looking for something brain-dead basic. Just a switched outlet controlled by a RS232 serial input.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hmm ... the master version of this looks promising. A bit pricey perhaps.

Now all I need to do is find someone here in the USA who carries something like this, and at that point I think I'll be well on my way to finding a method for alerting my supervisor that new files have arrived that need to be taken care of.

It's ceiling mountable.

I could mount it above my cube.

I wonder how much longer it's going to be before I get fired.

Oooh ... they have fog machines! One of those at work would be great! I could have my computer turn on the fog machine when new files arrive! As a bonus, when the fog starts, I could have the computer start playing a recording of bull frogs.

How come Radio Shack only carries the tacky party stuff in Canada and not the USA? Are they implying something about cheezy parties and Canadians?

I am so bored at work.