Serial SCSI and SATA Coexisting Together

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting:

Analysts and storage vendors said one of the key benefits of the serial SCSI interface technology that's due to start being built into disk drives this year is its compatibility with the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) interface used in low-end drives.

That will enable the development of hybrid storage arrays that let users mix and match high-performance SCSI drives for use in transaction processing applications with lower-cost Serial ATA devices for data backup and recovery procedures. The two disk-drive technologies could also be plugged into a single backplane within servers, according to drive vendors.

http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/storage/story/0,10801,78946,00.html

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance

...er, yes. That fact has been mentioned around here on occasion. Well, at least I first mentioned this capability back around June of last year.

More recently, I was recommending that anyone not too particularly in need of jumping into SATA (hard disc storage) should consider waiting until SA-SCSI comes out -- which will allegedly be at the end of this year. With a SA-SCSI controller, you will be able to connect SATA and/or SA-SCSI hard drives to one controller. This issue of waiting has nothing to do with other SATA devices such as CD, DVD, Zip, LS120, and other storage devices that will be showing up this year, since they would be better off plugging into the SATA interface on your future mobo.