Server move [update]

Handruin

Administrator
The final stages involve:

On February 2nd, we will conduct an initial incremental rsync. This will copy over all data that is new or that has changed since the bulk of the data was moved over. We will be checking and double checking the configuration on all of the servers to ensure that everything is correct.

On February 3rd, we will conduct a final rsync and migrate any data that has changed within the past 24 hours over. We are then going to disable all services on the old server and copy over all the DNS zone files from the new server to the old server. We will then restart just the DNS service on the old server, which will mean all DNS requests will be forwarded to the new server which has the up to date data on it.

You can expect up to 30 minutes downtime whilst we copy the DNS zones from the new server to the old server. We have elected to use a small amount of downtime to ensure there are no discrepancies between data on the new and old server. The window in which this downtime will occur is between 12:00 GMT on February 3rd and 00:00 GMT on February 4th. In practice, we expect the downtime to be a matter of minutes but we are allowing ourselves upto 30 minutes incase of any unforeseen problems.

Handruin

Administrator
I believe we have moved my friends...

a tracert places us in the new datacenter (fortressitx).

Code:
12     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  aer1-ge-5-3.newyork.savvis.net [204.70.193.34]
13     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  fortressitx.NewYork.savvis.net [206.24.195.134]

14     9 ms    10 ms     9 ms  65.98.0.227
15     9 ms     8 ms     8 ms  dns30.dizinc.com [69.57.180.83]

Resolving may still be slow because everyone is being forwarded from the old server until I update my nameservers' IP address. I'll do it once I get home, and then in a couple days everyone should be coming straight to the new machine.

Tim, any issues with your personal website so far?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yeah. The one domain that you parked for me isn't working. The main domain is working.

Is there anything I need to do?

Handruin

Administrator
Can you check in your domain register that both your domains are pointing to:
ns1.franticdownstream.com
ns2.franticdownstream.com

I'll double check my side of things to make sure the forward didn't get trashed.

The forwarding may be a result of the name server propagation time. I've changed my IP addresses for the above two name servers so it may take up to 72 hours depending on your ISP.

Handruin

Administrator
I had the same trouble with www.handruin.com from work. But if I went to any of my sub domains, the page would resolve...odd.

Now from home I can access www.handruin.com...so I think it's a DNS issue causing my problem, and maybe the same for you. I'll let you know if I can find anything pertaining to your forward. If not, I'll open a support ticket. I'll keep you posted.

I agree, the site does feel faster. I've re-enabled the gzip compression to reduce bandwidth. Since its been disabled I did notice a large jump in usage. We went from a normal 2GB in a month to 3GB... Since traffic is never really consistent it's hard to truly guage the change. We'll see how this month goes...

The load averages are MUCH better on this new server:

Code:
 20:17:30 up 11 days,  1:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.22, 0.21, 0.25
Tasks: 155 total,   1 running, 154 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.3% us,  0.5% sy,  0.5% ni, 98.4% id,  0.3% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si
Mem:   2074000k total,  2009556k used,    64444k free,   195200k buffers
Swap:  2096440k total,      560k used,  2095880k free,  1265644k cached

Handruin

Administrator
timwhit said:
What's funny is that i can ping the domain, but it won't load in a browser.

If you remove the "www" in your browser for your parked domain...it (oddly enough) resolves. I need to open a support ticket to figure out what happened. I don't want to FUBAR the DNS records, so I'll let them make the correct changes.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So maybe now it will be possible to fix the stats? It is dear to my heart. My life is grey and I have trouble sleeping since the stats have been broken. Will you bring sunlight to my existence?