Service Pack 2

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I'm not sure if this belongs on this board but I was wondering if there is a way I can create a SP2 disc so I don't have to download it onto every computer individually (dial-up!). I already got it down on one.

Thanks for any comments!

Rod

Handruin

Administrator
In addition to the slip streaming, you can download a "network" distributable exe file so that you can simply install from the 260MB file off a CD or network share here. This will allow you to download it once, and then share it between machines.

Handruin

Administrator
What, is my link not good enough for ya? :wink: (I'll admit your link is easier to find)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry Doug, I'm tired and for some reason your post didn't register properly in my consciousness. :oops:

I've avoided chiming in on several threads for this reason - it now seems I was right to lay low. (BTW, it nearly makes me choke to say "lay" instead of "lie" here. It's an instance where popular Ameringlish is broken - ask Tannin ;)).

RWIndiana, my real advice is for you to question why you're bothering to apply the SP in the first place. Can anyone prove that it fixes more things than it breaks?

Handruin

Administrator
No need to be sorry, I was just kidding with you. :) I'm sure we've all done it at one point or another. But seriously, I should have linked the page more descriptively like you did.

RWIndiana

Thanks for all the info guys. Actually I have heard some very humorous things about SP2, but nothing has crashed on my end (except the Catz and Dogz game, but that was an easy fix). I just like the feeling of being up-to-date. lol. I was warned off of SP2 by many others, but none of their tragic prophecies panned out and so far I have it on two computers. I would like to have a CD though in case I do decide to put it on all the computers (which I probably will, eventually). I might just order one from Microsoft since it's free.

Just wondering, if I install Windows with SP1 on a new installation, then install SP2 from the CD Microsoft sends, will the new installation then be up-to-date, or do I have to install other updates in between?

Handruin

Administrator
I believe there are additional security fixes issued since SP2. You won't be 100% up to date, but close.

RWIndiana

I did get one or two small updates since SP2, but what I meant to say was will there be gaps in the updates/patches on the new installation (will I be missing updates that came before SP2) or can I go ahead and install whatever comes after SP2 and consider myself covered?
Probably a stupid question but I hope you can tolerate me. ;)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You won't miss any updates, mainly because there aren't any. If there were any, however, they would still appear in Windows Update.

Handruin

Administrator
As sechs said, you won't be missing updates. Applying SP2 will cover anything you might have missed during the SP1 time frame, and if it doesn't they will appear on windows update.