SF Back Online

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Do you have any idea how many different PCs I have to change bookmarks on, Doug?

:frusty: :frowner: :skepo: :x

That's why I put the link redirect...guess it didn't help.

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
Front page link is bigger too. Excellent!

(PS: front page link doesn't have Tea's problem.)

Reload it again...see anything new at the top?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmmm ... perhaps there is a place for a virus or two here (says Tea, carefully avoiding use of the plural, just in case Cliptin and The Grammer Police get her), one that is highly infectious and carries as its payload a new and corrected SF Forum URL.

Come to think of it, that might be a good way to publicise the site.

(For the 36 hours it takes to get the site closed down as a result, that is.)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I think I saw that already. You mean the blue highlight? That's what I meant when I carelessly said "bigger". I like it: catches the eye - which is exactly what it should do.

(Tannin wanders off, hoping that The Grammer Police doesn't catch him and punish him for careless posting.)

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
That's three more seconds between me and my SF fix, hence the bookmark updating. :)

Sorry about that... I can change it to 1 or 2 seconds :)

Have I made a bad decision to change the path? Now that there are FOUR links to the forum on the front page, do you think people can manage? :wink:

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
I think I saw that already. You mean the blue highlight? That's what I meant when I carelessly said "bigger". I like it: catches the eye - which is exactly what it should do.

(Tannin wanders off, hoping that The Grammer Police doesn't catch him and punish him for careless posting.)

I'll take that comment as though my new image made no difference in the top right part of the header?

It will look something like this...

sf-logo-right.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
Ahh, I see. Or rather, Tea (IE 5.0) and The Grammer Police (Moz 1.2) can see, but I (Opera 6.03) can't.

Opera 6.05 sees it... Opera is a PITA to code for anyways...I give up with opera.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Handy, that image in the upper righthand corner blends in so well with its background, especially at 1024x768 and above. Perhaps a similar button located in the lefthand side navigation bar under the "Welcome [user]" line would work better. Then you could also switch the word Forum in the navigation bar back to the light background so it matches the other items. Just a thought.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No the forums are not an important part of our website, they are the important part of our website. The sole reason it exists, as a matter of fact. (Just a chance comment of no particular relevance to anything, let alone anyone. :wink:)

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
Handy, that image in the upper righthand corner blends in so well with its background, especially at 1024x768 and above. Perhaps a similar button located in the lefthand side navigation bar under the "Welcome [user]" line would work better. Then you could also switch the word Forum in the navigation bar back to the light background so it matches the other items. Just a thought.

I've been thinking about this all day today and I was going to do some rearranging of the front page. My plan was to move that image out of the upper right hand corner as you have suggested.

I'm also going to remove the login box from the front page since it only helps people whom whish to submit news. I will move it so that a new visitor will only see the login box once they click on submit news.

I'll try my ideas sometime tonight and then wait for feedback.

I'm trying to make the place easier for new visitors (and old), sorry that the results have been negative so far. It's not the criticism I mind, it's that I'm not making it work correctly.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh, don't worry about it, Handruin. I'll criticise you anyway. :wink: (No matter what.)

That's the trouble with being me. With the example of Tannin to learn from in my formative years, criticism is the only thing I'm really good at. :( (Apart from innovative zpelling and bananaz, of courze.)

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
Oh, don't worry about it, Handruin. I'll criticise you anyway. :wink: (No matter what.)

That's the trouble with being me. With the example of Tannin to learn from in my formative years, criticism is the only thing I'm really good at. :( (Apart from innovative zpelling and bananaz, of courze.)

Is the new front page any better?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Looking good Handy. I would even go so far as to change the color of the Forum button so that it is different from the rest of the page, and double the space between it and the other navigation items below it. Addditionally, the General News logo could be half the size, or removed. Do we ever post anything but general news?

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
Brrrrrrllfsp! On the whole, I prefer it when my green doesn't glow in the dark and set off radiation detectors.

OK, I tried....

So let me try to redeem myself with this offer. I think it was a long time ago you, or someone by the name of Tannin inquired about a mod that would display each users timezone.

example

mod

Would you like to have this feature?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Grrrreat idea. Absolutely! I guess the only question is, is it best if it shows the user's local time when posted? Or local time now? On the whole, I think local time now is better, but maybe there are mattters to ponder about that. (Oh, and I take it you don't see a layout problem?)

Another thing: that makes it pretty important that people take the trouble to input their local times, if the mod is to be of use. What cruel, extreme and unusual punishment can we inflict on people who don't do this? What allowances do we make for the numerically-challenged among us (such as Tannin) who have difficulty remembering what day it iz, let alone how many hours it is and in what direction from Greenwich?

James

Storage is cool
Tea said:
Grrrreat idea. Absolutely! I guess the only question is, is it best if it shows the user's local time when posted? Or local time now? On the whole, I think local time now is better, but maybe there are mattters to ponder about that. (Oh, and I take it you don't see a layout problem?)
The mod as I see it has the local time the poster posted at (?!) as well as the local time of the viewer (bottom left of each post). I think that's pretty good.

James

Storage is cool
Tea said:
Another thing: that makes it pretty important that people take the trouble to input their local times, if the mod is to be of use. What cruel, extreme and unusual punishment can we inflict on people who don't do this? What allowances do we make for the numerically-challenged among us (such as Tannin) who have difficulty remembering what day it iz, let alone how many hours it is and in what direction from Greenwich?
None at all, I would say, speaking as someone who has to deal with at least 4 other timezones every day (Singapore/HK, London, Japan and east coast US).

In the end I put a line of clocks up on the wall just to keep track of it all.