question SIIG SC-SA0R11-S1 Opinions

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have no experience with that unit, but is there a reason you aren't just using the onboard controller?

Yes. If there is a motherboard failure, I may not be able to get the same model to rebuild the array. If the card fails, I want to be able to replace it separate from the motherboard.

Handruin

Administrator
I have no experience with them either. Do you need hardware raid or can you just do software through your OS?

What about the LSI 9211? You can even use it in IT (Initiator Target) mode from what I recall if you want JBOD down the road. Roughly the same price as the SIIG and twice the port count and supports SAS if you ever need it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yes. If there is a motherboard failure, I may not be able to get the same model to rebuild the array. If the card fails, I want to be able to replace it separate from the motherboard.
What sort of motherboard controller are you looking at? The Intel "RAID" controllers are compatible from generation to generation. You can take an array from an Core2 vintage EP45 ICH9-R to a new Z97 motherboard and it will stay intact.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think Marvell makes a bad SATA controller, but I've only used them in simple SATA mode. I'm more inclined go Handy's route and use an LSI-based card for SAS and expander card support. Oh and high-density cabling, though I suspect that's not a problem for anybody else on SF.

Is anybody else even making high end disk controller chipsets? The Adaptec cards look like they're LSI now and I'm pretty sure modern Intel's are, too.

Handruin

Administrator
I clicked on that amazon link this morning for the LSI I linked to and it's now twice the price from what it was yesterday. Sorry about the inaccuracy of saying it's roughly the same price. It was yesterday which means that was probably a pricing error that I should have taken advantage of. :dunno:

Handruin

Administrator
Is anybody else even making high end disk controller chipsets? The Adaptec cards look like they're LSI now and I'm pretty sure modern Intel's are, too.

Is highpoint considered high end in some products? They have some offerings (or maybe all) with Marvell controllers. I know they have a few interesting cards that do high density with 32 drives but I don't know where they fit inline with the other adapters. Avago bought up LSI and 3ware.