Site outage June 2, 2003

Handruin

Administrator
Site was down again last night due to high loads on the server. I submitted a ticket and they had to get the datacenter involved to fix the issue. Not sure what caused the issues, but the server seems like it is back to normal. I asked for more information and will let people know. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but annoying none-the-less.

Handruin

Administrator
The single largest problem is not the resources, but our unknown neighbors on the server. All the major issues comes from someone who doesn't test a script before running it on the server. The last time I fought about the performance was due to someone with a script problem. I think they ended up suspending the account and we have been fine until yesterday. (not counting the datacenter fire)

The alternative (which I'm trying to work out) is a dedicated server. My goal is to find select people to host on a dedicated machine which will reduce the amount of varients in performance.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Handruin said:
My goal is to find select people to host on a dedicated machine which will reduce the amount of varients in performance.

Would you care to elaborate? Does this include other webhosting data centers, or more of a private involvement on the part of other individuals or yourself?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Hosting/colo is usually about $100 a month. That's a serious "ouch", I think.
I'd put in if that's something you'd need.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
Handruin said:
My goal is to find select people to host on a dedicated machine which will reduce the amount of varients in performance.

Would you care to elaborate? Does this include other webhosting data centers, or more of a private involvement on the part of other individuals or yourself?

I think he is trying to resell sever space to people he knows (online or offline) and host the resold space on the same server as SF. That way when a script goes crazy, he can track down the problem and "yell" at the offender. The current offenders are anonymous to Handy.

Handruin

Administrator
All of what has been said is what I'm trying to figure out. I have a few private parties interested in helping me fund a dedicated server and what they get out of it is ample bandwidth and space. Howell hit the nail on the head in regards to what I was trying to say. (thanks for the help) :)

The server I was looking at prices at $109 per month, so I would have to find enough people to cover the majority of the cost. I'm not looking to make this a profit venture, I'm looking to keep the site running and keep us happy. All I want to do is break even. (which I'm doing right now)

There are a few downsides to running an unmanaged server as some may know. First down side for me is that I don't have enough knowledge about Linux to feel confident in running an unmanaged site. I would have to know how to track down a script that is consuming too many resources along with kernel upgrades and security fixes. All of these things I know I can learn, but at a cost of $109 per month is a bit steap. Plus, I don't want to be learning on a server that is supposed to host sites such as SF, nevermind the people who will be funding the site.

That's my delema. I know this site will never get smaller, so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep us running for some time to come. (and to make it as fast as possible for dial-up users.) :) Slow sites are frustrating.