Skylake i3 6100 integrated graphics of AMD Radeon HD 7770?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Currently I put my old graphics card in my new box.
But I'm wondering whether the integrated graphics make it outdated.
Skylake i3 6100 integrated graphics or AMD Radeon HD 7770? Which is better?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I can't answer specifically about the hardware in question but the way integrated graphics are trending the population for whom a discrete graphics card makes sense gets smaller every year. My guess is those who need one already know it. Those who have to ask probably don't. I'm personally satisfied with the integrated graphics on my A10-5800K APU. Interesting read on the subject.

Probably a majority on this site have graphics cards, but remember this isn't a typical cross section of computer users.

Handruin

Administrator

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The 7770 is substantially better for gaming but Skylake has full hardware decode support for modern codecs (e.g. HEVC) and of course the 7770 is going to have much higher TDP and extra fan noise. The answer to that question for the most part comes down to whether or not you card about fill rates and extra texture memory for any reason.

The 7770 is a respectable, contemporary card for 720p gaming with GDDR5, 72GB/s of memory bandwidth and a fill rate of 16GPixels/s on a TDP of 80W. The HD530 graphics in the Skylake i3 are based on DDR3/4, 12GB/s or 17GB/s memory transfer rate (depending on your RAM), 1 or 3GPixels fill rate and a "free since it's in the CPU you're already using" TDP of 55W. Skylake is pathetic in terms of horsepower, but it's entirely probable that you don't care.

The best concentrated resource I know of for Apples to Oranges hardware comparisons is the TechARP GPU List.

sedrosken

Florida Man
If you do any 3D gaming from this decade you're probably better off with the HD7770. If not, the integrated graphics are more efficient.