Slow websites

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
This is getting ridiculous. Modern web-sites are starting to have so many advertisements and java thingies, that they are beginning to be slow on multiple gigahertz computers with 10-100Mb/s lines!

Just take anandtech or any other of there "popular" sites. Jeez....

I've just downloaded firefox, and I'm about to put blocks on EVERY DAMM GADGET AND AD POSSIBLE!

Not funny. I still have to work with peoples computers that use modems, and just downloading new drivers or something similar takes ages as the sites load so slowly.

:eekers:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
unfortunately many manufacturers dont have decent FTP sites. Things arent organized, files are not named to describe their contents, there's no way to search through the drivers.... pretty crappy.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Yes, last-mile bandwidth is often not the bottleneck at all, but rather, shared bandwidth at the CO/head-end, inter-network latencies, server capacity, and packet fragmentation/loss. People with broadband are often disappointed at how slow the net can be during prime-time, especially with DSL, which people assume to be totally unshared and therefore unsusceptible to activity-induced slowdowns (which is just not true).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Any good ISP is going to have alot of bandwidth.. Enough so that at peak times the effect of traffic will be barely noticable.

Although somtimes I wonder how time warner for instance can offer 3Mbit down to hundreds of throusands of customers and still maintain enough bandwidth.... but they do.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
No they don't. Try using Roadrunner during peak evening hours on a full node.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i've never had a problem in the 2 locations I've lived and used road runner.. I always get atleast 95% of the bandwidth I'm supposed to (3Mbit down, 384kbps up)

Maybe the nodes around here just aren't full.