Small hosting services

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anyone have any experience with *small* domain-parking/web hosting services?

I'm looking for a really low-volume application. Probably under 100MB monthly bandwidth; basically just enough to park a domain and a bunch of images (2MB or so) for some people. POP forwarding would be cool, too.

I've got a total budget of maybe $15 a year and a requirement for no advertisements, which I believe discounts tripod, geocities and the like.

Any ideas?

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Anyone have any experience with *small* domain-parking/web hosting services?

I'm looking for a really low-volume application. Probably under 100MB monthly bandwidth; basically just enough to park a domain and a bunch of images (2MB or so) for some people. POP forwarding would be cool, too.

I've got a total budget of maybe $15 a year and a requirement for no advertisements, which I believe discounts tripod, geocities and the like.

Any ideas?

When do you need this by? I was planning on moving SF to another hosting service soon, and when I do so, I was going to set up that account as a reseller account. If you want I can host the page, and depending on how little traffic there is, I could forget about any charge. There would be no advertisements either… You would get your own manageable account with little interaction from me. (meaning all the login’s are your own and I only monitor to make sure you don’t go over bandwidth and space etc.)

The site can be tailored to the amount of space you need (more space+size=more cost of course) and if you want to see what else it includes visit:

www.voxtreme.com

Let me know what you want to do and I'll let you know if I can work it into the timing of the move.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I use hostingshot their cheapest plan in $3.49 a month with no setup fee. It is a little more than you wanted to pay but you do get 50MB of dataspace and 1000MB of transfer/month. And 10 pop3 accounts.

Mercutio

It's just going to be some images from my ex's Relay for Life (ACS benefit) experience. I'm planning to go as the cameraman but the idea is to throw the images online as the event takes place.

Anyway, the anticipated demand at first will be for the X-number of MBs of images by the team members and those who have donated, then probably dwindle away for the year. She's hoping to keep the site up year-to-year (this is her third time doing this) so people can actually see what the event actually is.

Email forwarding or POP access is just a perk.

The "when" is ASAP. I just don't want to pay $10 - $20/month for a basic hosting plan just so she can keep 10MB of files online without ads and I don't really want to borrow space from somone else for this, either.

James

Storage is cool
Yes, I was perhaps wrongly assuming that Merc with all his ISP accounts might have some free web space knocking around as a result. Zoneedit then gets you past the issue of how to tidily point your domain name to your ISP web space.

Mercutio

I've dealt with several different high-dollar hosting providers at diferent times. They all kind-of melt together. Except internap. They were just evil.

Yeah, I think maybe I did recommend pair.

Maybe I'll pick up a cheap plan for myself and just run her stuff out of my space...

I've GOT to get some sleep tonight.

Oh. And thanks for the offer Handruin. And everyone else for suggestions.

Mercutio

My ISP doesn't do webspace. Which is OK, 'cause they don't care about my multilink connection or near-constant online activity. I have some other accounts scattered around but nothing I can ethically use for this.

James

Storage is cool
You're welcome to use my web space - I think it's 10MB of storage and 100MB of traffic. Minus side is obviously it's here in Australia. The other minus point is that I expect to change providers within the next couple of months.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
My ISP doesn't do webspace. Which is OK, 'cause they don't care about my multilink connection or near-constant online activity. I have some other accounts scattered around but nothing I can ethically use for this.

If you want I can start it tonight and it should be up and running by tomorrow. I'm not going to keep pushing, but if your needs are asap, I need an excuse to get my butt in gear. Lets say you needed ball park 10MB space and 100 MB month transfer we can work something out.

If you've got the domain, all you would need to do is point the name servers and be on your way...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I used zoneedit for a long time and just had it forwared to a geocities page...the ads never showed up for some reason. Maybe it was because I had the web forward cloaked or something.

Actually I just checked one of the pages that uses zoneedit for it's DNS server and still no ads pop up. It shows there being an error on the page, but the page looks just fine.

Mercutio

I picked up a domain for myself and now I suppose I'll be needing a host of my own. Since it's "mine", I suppose I can justify actually paying a little more for service.

So Handruin, what can you do for me? 10MB space and 100MB/month is, I'm guessing, a good initial estimate. I *do* want mail features, too. POP3 and SMTP. Dunno how or whether that cuts into your plan or reselling service.