SMC Switch died, need recomendations on a replacement.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
What I am hoping for is some suggestions on some higher end stuff that I can scour eBay for used. I know some of you are in IT or at least in the know, would apriciate some suggestions.

So anyway what I "had" was a SMC 8505T 5 port Gigabit switch that suports jumbo frames up to 9000. The replacement needs to be Gigabit copper RJ45, 5 port minimum, 8 or more would be nice. Jumbo frames would be nice. Price range say under $200 eBay.

Came home from work today and nothing in the house could connect, when computers were booted the network connections would bounce between connected and disconnected, some would only connect at 100 to a gigabit newtowk after 20 or so connected disconnected cycles, if they stayed connected at all. I traced it down to the network switch and swapped it with an older 10/100 switch I had and everything is back to normal, albeit slow now. Wish I knew what the heck went on today, no pets friends or wife in the bouse today, UPS didn't log any events not that it could get to the server to record them with the nework all screwey...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
To my knowledge there isn't anything other than the SMC in that price range that supports Jumbo frames.

I like netgear's GS-108 8-port switch because it has no fan (I look at fan's as failure points) but it, unfortunately, doesn't support jumbo frames.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hmm. Thanks for the input, that's why I originally got the SMC.

There are some Dell Powerconnect 3024's on ebay starting at $120, will keep an eye on them. I do only need two gigabit ports, the rest can just be 100.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I picked up one of these for work. I don't see it mentioning jumbo frames, but at $129 SLP for 8 full GbE ports & full-speed (16Gb) backbone, maybe you wouldn't actually need the jumbo frames? It's also fanless and comes with rackmounts.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
heh, knew there was a reason to have those fast processors...

That USR looks pretty nice, will likely go with that.