So that Fibre/SCSI disk won't format?

mikerault

What is this storage?
Website
www.scubamage.com
So...you got a dream price for a batch of SCSI drives, they have arrived and you put them in your system. They spin-up the POST on the HBA seems to say thy are up and running but the system won't recognize them and pretends they aren't even there. What now?

CHances are you have run afoul of what I call the CLariion effect. EMC manufactures (amoung others) the Clariion disk array. The disks in a Clariion are specially formatted at 520 vice 512 K per sector. In addition EMC usually modifies the ROM on the disks them seleves to "optimize" it and then charges you 2-3K extra for these optimized disks. When salvage companies absorb these huge arrays they break them up into cabinets and disks and sell them seperately.

Other manufacturers may also cause the Clariion effect but EMC is the most prevalent. It is easy to tell if your disks have the Clariion effect present because the programming will affect the model number as reported to the OS a normal 74 GB fibre channel disk from Seagate will report:

SEAGATE Model: ST173404FC in the proc/scsi/scsi file of a Linux sytem

A Seagate suffering from the Clariion affect will report:

SEAGATE Model: ST173404FC CLAR72

Easy you say, I will just use the low level format from my disk controller/HBA to reformat the drive. Maybe this will work, maybe it won't. On my system using an older card it reported that it successfully formatted the drive but the system still wouldn't recognize it.

The only solution I found to work was to download the SG series of utilities from http://fresh.t-systems-sfr.com/linux/src/sg3_utils-1.25.tgz/

You download the version for your Linux system then after using gunzip to expand the file and tar -xvf to unbundle it you cd into the top level directory and issue:

./configure
make
make install

The you can then use the sg_format command to "force" the format to the proper 512:

sg_format --size=512 --format /dev/sg1 &

many thanks to "Nobby" on blogspot.com for his tip on using sg_format.

Have fun!

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mike, thanks for the post. I recommend this be moved to the toolbox section.

BTW, IBM AS/400 a.k.a. iSeries a.k.a. System i drives are also 520 byte. In the past I've always been able to low-level them to 512 bytes & use them in PC-class systems. But I've not had the opportunity to do that since 17+GB disks became the norm in enterprise servers. My current iSereis & System i systems use 70 & 140GB 15K disks; any disk growth will use the newer 283GB 15K units. For those who count 512 bytes, those would be 73, 146, and 300GB respectively.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
At work we are moving away from our IBM Shark towards Netapp for SAN storage. For applications that were performance critical (such as email), we went with 146GB 10K FC drives to get the spindle counts to meet the required IO/sec. For the lower requirement apps, 300GB 10K FC drives are being used.

For servers I'm speccing 15K SAS drives at either 72 or 144GB sizes. Usually just a mirrored pair for OS etc, and the performance storage on the SAN.