Socket 478 System Advice

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hi guys-

I'm generally an AMD guy but I bought the SOYO P4 i865 P4 motherboard that was basically free after rebate @ Newegg. This is the board: http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=298

I plan on building a system around it and giving it as a gift at Christmas time. My question is, what CPU and memory combination will give me the best bang for the buck? Please keep in mind that I'll probably be purchasing the remaining components around the end of November. Do I want a P4 533mhz FSB? I saw one that was labeled a 1MB cache 533mhz FSB cpu that was pretty cheap on eBay. I'm thinking I'll avoid Prescott because of the heat issues. I'll want mid-pack performance with relatively low heat generation. Recommendations?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Clocker

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The P4 533MHz Northwood 2.4GHz chip can pretty reliably hit 3.2GHz and is one of the cheapest P4 CPUs you can buy.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the idea Merc. I might take it a step further! The 2.4 HT Northwood P4s are just a little more and they overclock nicely too. Sounds like a good opportunity for a significant increase in WU production.... :wink: