South by Southwest

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Anyone ever been to this before? Looks like it would be a good time. Maybe I will try to go in 2008, when I have a bit more vacation time built up.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I am afraid to click the link ...is it safe for work?

Handruin

Administrator
I think so. This is how the page reads:

The guys ‘n’ gals behind SXSW, have made available a huge Torrent of MP3s from bands and artists who will be showcased at this year’s festival. All in all, if you download the file(s), you’ll be getting 739 MP3s from 739 different artists.

In addition to letting everyone get a taste of the musical artists, SXSW has plans to release movie trailers and other content via their official site.

If you’d like to download the aforementioned 3.1G torrent, you can get it here.

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
timwhit said:
Anyone ever been to this before? Looks like it would be a good time. Maybe I will try to go in 2008, when I have a bit more vacation time built up.

Yes, but you had better not suffer from demophobia or agoraphobia. And, you also should be able to function on practically no sleep for a week.

If you can't make it to SXSW, the same people that put together SXSW have helped others organise sister festivals over the past few years. They are all occur about 2 months apart, with SXSW kicking it off. There's one in Ontario (Canada), other one called NXNW in Washington state, another one somewhere in SoCal (but definitely not in Los Angeles, where you have to pay to play your music as opposed to getting paid to play your music). There is probably 1 or 2 others as well. The SXSW festival is the oldest and largest of these "indy" music events.