Spare 168pin DIMMs

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anyone have spare 168pin SDRAM laying around? I'd like to find rather more than I have.

I'll buy 128MB and 256MB modules.

Handruin

Administrator
I believe I have 3x 256MB PC-133 (Crucial) kicking around. Is that what you're looking for?

Mercutio

That is what I'm looking for. I'd like to get at least six such modules, and at this point I've given away all that I have.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll look for them when I get home tonight (they might be in storage). If I have them at my house, I can send them to you (PM me an address). They all worked fine last I remember...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
They were stored by being plugged into old motherboards. I have no idea, if they still work and no way to test them, but they did when they were put away.

I have the following:

2 sticks generic 128MB 16x64 double sided PC133
2 sticks Mushkin 256MB double sided PC133
2 sticks Mushkin (unidentified size [128MB or 256MB]) double sided PC133
1 stick generic 128MB 16x64 double sided (unidentified speed)
1 stick Siemens 64MB 8x64 single sided PC-100
1 stick generic 32MB 4x64 single sided PC-100

All have gold contacts

As to cost, whatever you think as fair + shipping; I have no concrete uses for them anymore. Just PM me with an address, and I'll ship them.

Handruin

Administrator
Merc, I've got 3x 256MB PC133 CL2 Crucial memory here that I can send to you. Send me info via PM if you want them.

Mercutio

Yes, I am interested in yours, Mark's and ddrueding's.
I'm having a hard time assigning a value to the modules, though. I'd like to offer some kind of compensation above and beyond shipping but...
Prices for "new" PC100 memory are insane. $25 for 256MB that'll go in a PC that's probably not worth $50?
But on the other hand, $5 for a DIMM seems like a slap in the face.

The main reason I'm trying to collect memory, though, is that I want to put it in machines at the women's shelter that I have posted about. I've got several elderly AMD Socket 462 motherboards sitting around, and I can gather up about 5 1.2GHz Tbird chips to go in them. I have some desktop cases with 200W PSUs and a bunch of 10GB hard drives.

A 1GHz processor with 256MB or 512MB of RAM and TinyXP is a pretty nice system. Very usable.

Beyond what I use for that, I can upgrade some of their Pentium2 machines to the point where they can actually be used for work again.

Handruin

Administrator
I wasn't asking for any money. Send me an address and I'll ship them.

Mercutio

To those who sent me memory modules: I used them all this weekend.

I spent most of Saturday fixing up PCs from 300MHz to 1GHz by installing extra RAM, swapping some motherboard/CPUs and replacing full-on Windows XP installations with TinyXP. PCs that were taking 15 minutes to start XP + Norton AV now start in about 90 seconds with TinyXP and AVG.

There are eight people who are going to think they have new computers this morning because of what amounts to our cast-off parts.

Mercutio

I think I'm done. I'm not completely sure but if there's anything else I still have a couple 256MB modules left. And a metric ton of 64MB modules.

Thanks again everybody!

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Anyone else think it would be cool to start a charity where geeks collect castoff parts and put them into worthwhile charities? I'm guessing most if not all of us have done this at some point, though usually to impress a chick or 'cause we're college poor or just bored. I think Merc sets a nice example of doing it for a worthy cause.